Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Tracking Down Unknown IP Address

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Jun-2006, 03:08 PM #1
Tracking Down Unknown IP Address
Hi,

Is there anyway to track down who/what/where an IP Address is connected to by only having the IP address. I know that it can't me physically where but something to tell me what type of device is using it would be very helpful. I just started working for a company and there are a few static IP addresses that no one knows what/who/where they belong to. I tried using LANSurveyor but it wouldn't return any data on the end systems. Besides unplugging them from the switch and waiting for something to crash/someone to scream, does anyone have anyother suggestions on how to track this down?

Also, I used a tracert command and that didn't return anything either...

Thanks for the help!

Noah
Computer Specs
Member with 7,213 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Jun-2006, 03:21 PM #2
Try the nbtstat command?
Run SNMP trap on the IP to see if it gives you any information on the device connected?
Try connecting to the IP with a web browser and see if it has any web interface?
Junior Member with 4 posts.

28-Jun-2006, 04:06 PM #3
No luck....

Senior Member with 122 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Jun-2006, 05:26 PM #4
If you use StumpedTechy's suggestion, using nbtstat -A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx it will return the machine's name(1st entry) and MAC address(at bottom), that is, if it is a computer. The name may give you a clue to where the device is located. If there is no name then it is most likely a network device. Using the MAC address, you can go to the following website to find the vendor associated with the MAC. http://www.coffer.com/mac_find/ Sometimes knowing the vendor of the network card can point you to the computer.
Hope it works in finding the needles in the haystack.
Trusted Advisor with 19,633 posts.

29-Jun-2006, 12:49 AM #5
If it is a computer that logs into a Domain on Netware network, you could create a login script that tells you computer name, login name, etc, etc....

I would also run a little program called NBTscan to see what info it comes up with.
Senior Member with 650 posts.

29-Jun-2006, 02:38 PM #6
if this ip is on your local domain or network then why not ping it with -a to see if comes back with a name if its a pc ex. ping -a 192.248.564.54...if its a device like router, switch, or printer well have fun with that....also this company you work for does have a list of all ips being used....
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 894 posts.

Experience: 31337
29-Jun-2006, 02:47 PM #7
Do all of the above, then download nMAP from sourceforge.

nmap -sS -O xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx will tell you what TCP ports it's listening on, attempt OS detection, and if it's a winders machine will tell you what release/hostname/etc.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!