Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can I use a spare wireless router as a repeater?

(!)

Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Jul-2006, 01:25 PM #1
Can I use a spare wireless router as a repeater?
Hi

I have a new netgear MIMO adsl router (dg834pn) which has helped address most of the dead spots in my old brick built house. I now have a dg834g (wireless 4-port adsl) router going spare.

Can I hook up a length of RJ45 from the MIMO box to the old router and use the old one as a wireless repeater for the one area in the house the MIMO won't reach? If so how would I go about it? If it can't be done in plain english it's going to be beyond me!

thanks in advance
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

28-Jul-2006, 01:31 PM #2
Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!
Member with 7,213 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Jul-2006, 02:00 PM #3
I thnk he said plain english your technojargon just fried something in the synapses of his I think *just kidding and glad its friday!*

28-Jul-2006, 02:19 PM #4
Thanks JohnWill

I think I just about understood that! I recognise the terms from the set up screens on the routers.

So if I tell the old router (now the repeater) that it no longer has DHCP and that its new address is 192.168.0.254 will the primary router (the new one) just see it as a passive device?

Do I need to give the old router (which I want to be wirelessly enabled) a different SSID to the primary wireless router?

Thanks very much - the help's really appreciated.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,213 posts.

28-Jul-2006, 02:34 PM #5
I would this way you know which of the 2 your connecting to
Computer Specs
Member with 7,213 posts.

28-Jul-2006, 02:36 PM #6
Another thing is I think you need to do is to use 2 different channels since both are wireless as well but I am not the wireless guru here so I'll deffer to others
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,239 posts.

28-Jul-2006, 07:35 PM #7
I remember the answers from previous JohnWill's posts. With his setup, your old router is configured as an ethernet switch and a wireless Access Point.

To make sure you don't wirelessly interfere with yourself, use a different channel and differert SSID.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

28-Jul-2006, 08:11 PM #8
Certainly use a different channel, and make sure it's separated by at least three or four numbers. For multiple wireless routers, I normally use 1, 6, and 11 to start.

30-Jul-2006, 04:42 AM #9
I can now get to the net via a hardwired connection through the old router which is now acting (I think!) as an ethernet switch. The performance is excellent.

The connection between the new primary router and the old router is via a Devolo mains (electrical supply) LAN using rj45 cables.

Next Problem! I can't get the wireless connectivity going between the old router and a wireless laptop. I have created an SSID for ithe old router and given it a channel number 4 digits different than the primary router. Sometimes it sees it at full strength, other times it doesn't see it at all. The laptop is inches away from the old router. I have tried with and without security encryption. It behaves the same whether the Devolo mains LAN is used or with a direct rj45 connection.

I'm stumped!

Is it likely that the wireless broadcast of the router itself is packing in?

Any more suggestion very welcome.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,239 posts.

30-Jul-2006, 10:23 AM #10
Yes, your old router's radio may be going bad. The more hours it has been used, the more likely it is failing. The laptop does not have the same problem with the new router, right? And you don't have obvious interference, like a 2.4Ghz phone or a neighbor's signal on the same channel?

Sometimes you can "refresh" routers by noting your important settings, reset to factory default settings, reconfigure the router.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!