Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Doubling up wireless routers

(!)

jVirus jVirus is offline jVirus has a Profile Picture
Member with 420 posts.

03-Aug-2006, 08:37 AM #1
Question Doubling up wireless routers
Is there a router and what is it's name that can hook wirelessly (opposed to plugging into one of the ethernet ports) and broadcast so I can have two routers in my area? Know what I mean?
Computer Specs
Member with 7,213 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Aug-2006, 08:44 AM #2
I am assuming you just want a bigger wireless bubble?

You need comething that can act as a repeater. Some WAP's allow for this some Routers allow for this. You need to make sure the devices are compatible with your current wireless device though. Some are simply repeaters that don't have any internals other than just repeating the signal.
Member with 602 posts.

03-Aug-2006, 09:34 AM #3
linksys makes a device and i think a few other companies , that you initially connect with a cat 5 cable. You then stuff it full of your network settings , disconnect it from the cat 5. You can then sit it anywhere within the outer most range of your eireless. All it needs is A/C. It takes your week wireless signal and boosts it back up and rebroadcasts it
i think this might be it
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper
Member with 420 posts.

03-Aug-2006, 07:49 PM #4
what if i just want another router on the network that i can control rather than my roommate?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

03-Aug-2006, 08:56 PM #5
Actually, if you want to run a cable between them, you can use any old router.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!
Member with 602 posts.

03-Aug-2006, 09:50 PM #6
Quote:
Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router
It will not work and here is why. The clients are either a DHCP client or not. There is a slight chance since they are DHCP clients in the props for tcp-ip you can configure the default ip for the range of your network, actually i would make the ip out side of the range of the scope of dhcp IPs to keep from getting the same ip address on 2 different machines. Then I thought about encryption, I would not use WEP, I would use WPA and it will have to be the same on ALL devices. Listen, if you already have the router , try it . If you have to buy. If it were me I think I would walk away from it and buy a range extender. If you buy the router get a big bottle of asprin too.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

04-Aug-2006, 08:48 AM #7
onsite, you are dead wrong. I've done this a number of times, and this works fine. AAMOF, I'm typing on a computer that is connected wirelessly through a secondary router that's connected EXACTLY as I describe. Please at least test your theories before you criticize a solution.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,213 posts.

04-Aug-2006, 08:59 AM #8
No matter what if you wanty to control a router and your roomate wants to control one your going to have problems. Jonwills setup takes one router and turns it into an access point really not much of a router. This still only leaves 1 central router.

If you go with 2 routers 1 person is behind 2 nats and the one with the nat router off the modem WILL win out in setup.
Member with 602 posts.

04-Aug-2006, 10:31 AM #9
It is going to cause more headaches then it is worth. It is possible to be in range of both signals and you will toggle between a DHCP client and a static, if any at all. It will be Soooooo much easier to get a range estender as God intended.
Member with 420 posts.

04-Aug-2006, 10:34 AM #10
So there is no router that I can set up near an accesspoint, hook my laptop to configure it to pick up a wireless signal, disconnect and use it wirelessly. I understand that configurations of the other router will need to occur for my 2nd router to work properly. But the basic concept of my second router, there is not one right?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!