Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to check if someone is using/stealing my internet

(!)

Member with 40 posts.

27-Aug-2006, 10:02 PM #1
How to check if someone is using/stealing my internet
Recently my internet has been slow. And i suspect that my neighbour is using my internet. How can i check
Trusted Advisor with 19,643 posts.

27-Aug-2006, 11:01 PM #2
Login to your router and look at the DHCP Table. This will tell you who is getting an IP address from your unprotected Wireless router. I would suggest you get some Wireless encryption in place if you think this is the case.

You could use this software as well.
http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/

Last edited by Squashman; 27-Aug-2006 at 11:11 PM..
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

28-Aug-2006, 09:16 AM #3
Turn off the wireless, see if it speeds up!
Computer Specs
Member with 7,213 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Aug-2006, 09:31 AM #4
Or encrypt it so definitely noones on it
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Einstein
28-Aug-2006, 09:34 AM #5
Wink A bit more...
Squashman's answer is valid, but assuming. Maybe you have a broadband modem rather than a router, maybe you're even on dialup!

There are many reasons your Internet connection can become slowed, and the most common reason is that of fragmentation of your system files. Clean up your hard drive, remove anything you don't need, defragment using the Windows XP Disk Defragment software, see if that helps.

The second most common Internet drag is viri. Scan your computer for viruses using new definitions.

If none of this works, then someone might indeed be stealing your connection. A sure way to find out is:

Close all Internet applications, including anything that might check for updates (with the exception of Internet security applications). Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the Task Manager, click the Networking tab. Your network usage should be between 0% and 5% average. Up to 5% is fine. Jumps between 0% and 10% are acceptable, but a 10% average is not. That said, you shouldn't notice even 10%.

One last thing. Have you recently installed any Antivirus or Internet security that might be updating itself? Or are you using an illegal version of Windows? Download the Windows XP Validation tool in reference to the latter.

James Finch
Computer Specs

28-Aug-2006, 09:35 AM #6
Cool Limitation?
John, you are limited only by your imagination and your lifespan!

28-Aug-2006, 07:34 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Finch
Squashman's answer is valid, but assuming. Maybe you have a broadband modem rather than a router, maybe you're even on dialup!
Explain to me how someone is going to steal someone elses Internet connection this way.

Yes, it could be a malware issue as well.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,145 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Aug-2006, 07:57 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colour
Recently my internet has been slow. And i suspect that my neighbour is using my internet. How can i check
If you are on a router, you may be able to use a (free) program which I have on my home network -WallWatcher. It shows what ip addresses are on the network. Our network should only have XXX.XXX.XX.100 and XXX.XXX.XX.101. If any others are on it, it will record them on the router log and show it on my pc monitor when I run WallWatcher. Take a look at:

http://wallwatcher.com/

28-Aug-2006, 09:57 PM #9
That is a pretty neat program. I assume you have to send the Syslog from the router to the PC, so that it can interpret it.
Computer Specs
Member with 55,821 posts.

29-Aug-2006, 12:37 AM #10
Can WallWatcher be used to see how many others are out there on my comcast cable loop?
Computer Specs
Member with 1,145 posts.

29-Aug-2006, 09:35 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squashman
That is a pretty neat program. I assume you have to send the Syslog from the router to the PC, so that it can interpret it.
I believe that is correct. You might also be interested in the fact that it shows attempts to enter your pc - it's almost scary at times. In this connection, I use this site to find out who is trying to get in (usually some Chinese website or AT&T or AOL)

http://www.dnsstuff.com/

Just interesting sometimes to see all the hits on your computer. That's why you need all the protection enabled that you can.

Last edited by John Burns; 29-Aug-2006 at 10:35 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 1,145 posts.

29-Aug-2006, 09:37 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hewee
Can WallWatcher be used to see how many others are out there on my comcast cable loop?
I don't think so - it operates through your router - I don't think that would be coming through your router.
Computer Specs

29-Aug-2006, 06:10 PM #13
Post In answer to Squashman...
The point of stealing someone's connection, surely, is to use it for illegal purposes and have it traced to them rather than you. This is what I like to think, anyhow. Surely anyone who can afford a PC can afford a Net connection, no matter how feeble. What you're talking is very difficult to do! I mean to say, why would someone with such an experience level not want to pay for their own connection - only one reason: the law. They're doing something illegal. Using someone's connection in this way is possible even if they have dial-up!

Your feedback on this would be appreciated.

James Finch
Computer Specs
Member with 1,145 posts.

29-Aug-2006, 07:12 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Finch
The point of stealing someone's connection, surely, is to use it for illegal purposes and have it traced to them rather than you. This is what I like to think, anyhow. Surely anyone who can afford a PC can afford a Net connection, no matter how feeble. What you're talking is very difficult to do! I mean to say, why would someone with such an experience level not want to pay for their own connection - only one reason: the law. They're doing something illegal. Using someone's connection in this way is possible even if they have dial-up!

Your feedback on this would be appreciated.

James Finch
I'm not sure about the point of your post , but I think I agree with you, in that there are many, many people out there who take advantage of ANY opportunity. It is NOT difficult to do if YOU don't properly secure your network connection. I presently have someone in my neighborhood who has a very suspect meth house of young people who dare the law. They would use someone else's connection without any qualms. God knows, I have done my part to try to get law enforcement to check on them, but funding is so tight, they (the law) do only what they can - and concentrate on the really blatant ones. They probably can afford a net connection, but their priorities are not that - it's getting their "fix". You have to protect yourself in today's world. I protect myself as much as I can
Computer Specs
Member with 55,821 posts.

29-Aug-2006, 08:25 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Burns
I don't think so - it operates through your router - I don't think that would be coming through your router.
Thanks John, was hoping you could so you can tell if there are to many people on your loop and you would have a way to tell your ISP that you know the loop is overloaded.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!