Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Help Please Regarding Connection Problems With Belkin 54g Router

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Oct-2006, 04:49 PM #1
Help Please Regarding Connection Problems With Belkin 54g Router
Hi,

Came across a problem today I simply cannot understand. Setup a wireless connection between a laptop and a base unit - both using Win XP Home via a Belkin 54g ADSL Router

The base unit was physically connected to the router and the laptop, via wireless.

Both machines were setup via WEP 64-bit encryption.
Both machines were able to connect to the internet.
Both machines were able to share files between each other.
Wireless laptop was able to print via the network.

As far as I was concerned, job done, all OK.

Until the customer called me later on to tell me that ..... when he takes out the power cable from the laptop, he cannot get a wireless connection ??? The machine cannot find any network even.

Went through some checks over the telephone, still couldn't get it connected.

Put the power cable back into the laptop - after a short while, it found the network - connected again.

Never came across anything like this before. What has the network connection got to do with the power cable? Maybe it is something very simple - but I have never experineced this problem before.

So If you can help - i'd appreciate it.

Mac.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,918 posts.

Experience: Seasoned Professional
02-Oct-2006, 05:02 PM #2
When the power cord is removed from the laptop, does the laptop "disable" the wireless NIC, or does it just drop the connection? I would check your power management settings for the wireless card (right-click My Network Places, go to properties, then right-click the wireless NIC, and go to properties.) Then click on the "Configure" button of the NIC, and go to the "advanced" tab. Look through the list of items on the left for anything having to do with power management, and disable it.

Also check the regular power management settings under control panel.

HTH

02-Oct-2006, 05:16 PM #3
Quote:
When the power cord is removed from the laptop, does the laptop "disable" the wireless NIC, or does it just drop the connection?
To be honest, i don't know - I *think* it drops the connection because when I asked the customer to look in Network Connections, he said it was "Not Connected". I am sure if it said "Disabled" he would have mentioned it.

I'll take on board the rest of your advice, because I am sure i'll have to go back out to this call. When I setup the network, the laptop was already powered (before I got on site even) on and I suppose looking back I ought to have checked the connection without the power cable - but it's not something you think about; I mean I assumed that if the network was working, then it should always work whether the laptop is connected to the power source or not.

At least, that's what i thought before today .....

Cheers for the advice.

Mac.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,472 posts.

02-Oct-2006, 05:41 PM #4
Assuming that the laptop's wireless adapter is not integrated, see if the adapter loses power.

I had a USB wireless adapter that, I think, drew too much current; it continually cutout (lost power) on my desktop; on my two laptops it worked adequately with the AC power but quickly cut out when running on battery only. I assume that the same could occur with a PC Card.

02-Oct-2006, 06:09 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet
Assuming that the laptop's wireless adapter is not integrated, see if the adapter loses power.

I had a USB wireless adapter that, I think, drew too much current; it continually cutout (lost power) on my desktop; on my two laptops it worked adequately with the AC power but quickly cut out when running on battery only. I assume that the same could occur with a PC Card.

Hi,

The wireless card is internally built into the laptop.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,472 posts.

02-Oct-2006, 06:48 PM #6
I suppose the same thing could happen with integrated, but would be a heck of a lot harder to detect.

Is it possible that the disconnect/reconnect happening at the same time as battery/AC power is just coincidence? My usual advice for an integrated adapter is to get the latest driver and utility for it from the laptop manufacturer's web site. Whether the adapter's utility or Windows' WZC is being used, make sure that the other one is not running. If having problems try the other one. If the integrated adapter is Intel, use Intel's adapter.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!