There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.


Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Ethernet Cables for file transfer


jonathan731's Avatar
jonathan731 jonathan731 is offline
Member with 425 posts.
Join Date: Aug 2003
Experience: Intermediate
17-Nov-2006, 08:16 PM #1
Ethernet Cables for file transfer
I have a desktop and laptop both with XP. Is it possible to just use a regular Ethernet cable to connect them and transfer files??? I dont want to buy a router and make a home network since Im only home once in a while so I just want some important files. Thanks for any help.
JohnWill's Avatar
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: South Eastern PA, USA
17-Nov-2006, 08:25 PM #2
You will need a CAT5 crossover cable, but they're readily available.
jonathan731's Avatar
jonathan731 jonathan731 is offline
Member with 425 posts.
Join Date: Aug 2003
Experience: Intermediate
18-Nov-2006, 01:25 AM #3
I have a cable that says Tripp-Lite Enhanced Cat-5 UTP 350 MHZ......will that work?

if it does, do i just connect one end to the laptop and the other end into my desktop?
Courtneyc's Avatar
Computer Specs
Member with 1,906 posts.
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: South Central Kansas
Experience: Advanced
18-Nov-2006, 01:36 AM #4
Nope. You need a cross-over cable. A standard Ethernet cable will not work.

Look at the ends of the cable. You will see 8 wires. In a standard cable, the colors are the same. In a cross-over cable, the green and orange wires are switched.

Courtney sends....
ceri sheeran's Avatar
ceri sheeran ceri sheeran is offline
Senior Member with 894 posts.
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London UK
18-Nov-2006, 08:13 AM #5

Cross over cable is correct

If you already hae the cable then you could use a cross over adaptor.

This converts a normal ethernet patch cable to a cross over and a crossover cable to a normal patch cable.

With the adpator and either cable, cross over or patch you can connect either way. Cable and adaptor or just cable. Depending on what you need to do.


catlady13's Avatar
catlady13 catlady13 is offline catlady13 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 843 posts.
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Langley BC Canuckland
18-Nov-2006, 01:26 PM #6
I am really curious, once you have the cross over cable what do you do with it? I assume you hook them to the ethernet ports on both computers but then will one just read the other or do you need to go through some kind of wizard?
Frank4d's Avatar
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: So. California
18-Nov-2006, 02:34 PM #7
You need to have File and Printer Sharing enabled on both computers, both need to have the same workgroup name but different computer names, and (usually) should be set up with an account that has administrator rights and uses the same username and password on both computers.
techno_lust's Avatar
techno_lust techno_lust is offline
Member with 380 posts.
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 48040
18-Nov-2006, 02:35 PM #8
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

You Are Using: Server ID
Trusted Website Back to the Top ↑