Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can I hook up two computers to eachother?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Nov-2006, 12:17 PM #1
Can I hook up two computers to eachother?
Is it possible to use a cable between the two, because the file i need to transfer I downloaded. I can make a data dvd but the other computer that I need the file on has a cdrw in it and can't read dvd rom's. Can I somehow share the dvd rom between the computers or hook up the computers together without having to buy any equiptment? I have usb and parallel cables and different parallel adapter ends.
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Nov-2006, 02:03 PM #2
Hi and welcome. You posted this in multi-media, I'm moving it to networking.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,102 posts.

19-Nov-2006, 02:47 PM #3
Certainly possible to network two computers with a cable.

For USB you need a special cable and the software that goes with it. Do NOT connect any USB cable between them unless you know that it is the right kind of cable.

I'm pretty sure that you can network with parallel connections; need a special cable (forget what it's called).

Best and easiest is to use a cross-over ethernet cable. Obviously both computers need ethernet adapters for this.

If this is a one-time transfer consider a USB flash drive. You can now find 1 GB ones for $20 US and don't have to learn anything about networking or file and printer sharing.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,859 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Nov-2006, 02:55 PM #4
EDIT: I was typing (with interuptions) as TerryNet was posting. Just listen to them.

The short answer is Yes if you are running recent versions of Windows ...

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

A more specific answer would require us knowing the operating systems of both computers.

If both computers have Ethernet ports, a crossover Ethernet cable might be the easiest and quickest method.

Using parallel printer ports would work but would require a parallel port jumper cable with very specific wiring on both ends.

Using RS-232 serial ports would work using a suitable cable but would be slow.

Using USB ports would require a specialized USB cable that had USB "A" plugs on both ends and active electronics to match the voltages and signals without damaging the computers. You would also need special software on each computer to transfer files.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!