Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

What do I need to connect 2 computers to one DSL?Network??

(!)

Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Dec-2006, 01:35 PM #1
Question What do I need to connect 2 computers to one DSL?Network??
Hello,

I am clueless so please bear with me. I have 2 desktop computers. An old Compaq that I have upgraded hard drive,cd burner, win XP, etc but it has no ethernet card. I have a D Link DFE-530TX+ pci adapter and a Linksys Wireless-G pci adapter(wmp546) not installed, just bought them cheap. I want to move the old computer upstairs and use both computers from the same DSL connection. New computer is Emachines(don't laugh-I'm poor), windows XP, ethernet port on front, westell modem via Bellsouth DSL and Vonage Motorola router?. My question is should I put the pci adapter in the old machine and use a wireless router to connect the 2 machines? Or, what should I do? I am pretty secure working inside the machines but I am clueless as to what I need to put in them to get them to share the DSL. I would greatly appreciate details and instructions for dummies. Thanks in advance!

Homescool
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

07-Dec-2006, 01:48 PM #2
Well, if cable is an option, it'll be a lot easier to get it running and keep it running. However, if you have a wireless router, the wireless card will also work.

What is the exact make/model of the DSL modem and the Vonage router?
Member with 10 posts.

07-Dec-2006, 03:11 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill
Well, if cable is an option, it'll be a lot easier to get it running and keep it running. However, if you have a wireless router, the wireless card will also work.

What is the exact make/model of the DSL modem and the Vonage router?
WOW! You sure are fast!! The modem is a Westell Model C90-610030-06 Rev: E DSL Router - phone jack port, usb port and ethernet port on back. I currently have it connected via the ethernet cable to the vonage modem/router and the vonage to the EMachines (newer computer.) I have Bellsouth DSL -FastAccess DSL Extreme
The vonage is a Motorola Model VT2442-VD 4 ethernet ports, 1 internet port 2 phone jacks on back. I have been told several different things to do. One was go wireless, one was install ethernet card in old computer and connect with a network cable and so on. Could it be as simple as installing an ethernet card in the old computer and getting a wireless network adapter? Do I have to make any changes to old and new computer? What is the wireless PCI adapter for? I also have a Geek Squad CAT-6 network cable(25ft). I guess I need to know what exactly I need, where it needs to be installed and if there are any special settings or instructions for setting it up or will it just plug and pray(play) like a good computer should? Again, I am so impressed with how fast you answered!! Sitting in awe...

Pam
Homescool
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

07-Dec-2006, 07:00 PM #4
I'd run a cable and forget about the wireless, all you need in that case is a $10 PCI Network Adapter.
Member with 10 posts.

07-Dec-2006, 07:25 PM #5
O.K. Is the DFE-530TX+ 10/100 Fast Ethernet Desktop Adapter something I need to install in the "old computer"? as it has no ethernet card. I guess I don't need the LinkSys wireless-G PCI adapter? Just a regular PCI adapter? Just run an ethernet/crossover cable? from the vonage router(is it a router?) Am I confused??? Did I confuse you yet?? Give me time, I will!!
Would you mind a quick step by step or details or a website that would provide that if you don't have the time? Again, I THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Pam
Senior Member with 601 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Dec-2006, 08:56 PM #6
It seems you have everything you need to get your connection shared except you may need another ethernet cable.
Put the DFE-530TX+ 10/100 Fast Ethernet Desktop Adapter into your old computer. Connect your modem to the router's WAN or Internet port with a straight through cable (not a crossover) then to the remaining ports connect the old computer and the laptop using straight through cables (again not crossover). Configure your router with the proper information from your DSL provider and configure your router so that DHCP is enabled. You should disable the wireless functionality on the router until you decide you want to configure it.
Let us know how that goes, good luck.

Joe

P.S. there's nothing wrong with emachines.
Member with 10 posts.

07-Dec-2006, 09:09 PM #7
Thank you! BTW They are both desktops. I don't have a laptop yet but will be buying daughter one when she goes off to college next year. By a straight through cable do you mean ethernet cable or a network (cat-6) cable? Will my DSL provider give me instructions to configure the router and how to disable DHCP(I have not a clue what that is) ? I was hoping I could install the pci card, plug the cables into the computers, run the cables thru the router and poof be done. Wishful thinking, I guess. I don't like messing around with configurations... It gives me the willies just thinking about it. Thank you again for all of the help and details! You all are the best!

Pam
Senior Member with 601 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Dec-2006, 09:24 PM #8
You can always try, sometimes that works.

Your DSL provider might not help you with the router, they'll have the information you need to setup the router to play nicely with their network.

The CAT6 cable will do fine.

DHCP is probably enabled by default so just connecting everything might just work. The only real kink I can see is configuring the router for your internet connection. The best place for that is your manual but if you feel better having us describe it you can come back.

Joe
Member with 10 posts.

07-Dec-2006, 09:35 PM #9
Thanks Joe - You have my undying respect and thanks! I am going to give it a try tomorrow and I will let you all know how it turns out. You can bet your cables I'll be back if I need more help! I really appreciate all of the great information!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!