Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

2 DSL modems, 1 router, on 1 phone line possible?

(!)

Junior Member with 21 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Dec-2006, 10:45 PM #1
2 DSL modems, 1 router, on 1 phone line possible?
2 DSL modems, 1 router, on 1 phone line... Is it possible and can i get a step by step instruction on how to do it? Thank you!
Account Disabled with 52 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Dec-2006, 11:10 PM #2
why do u have 2 DSL modems?

all u need is 1 DSL modem and a router..
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,729 posts.

25-Dec-2006, 01:31 AM #3
No it won't work. When I first got my router, connected it up, the DSL light wouldn't light up. Turned out I left a USB modem connected.

It's like trying to have 2 phone calls at the same time. Computers aren't as clever as humans (yet) and can't pick out what's for it on a phone line.
Junior Member with 21 posts.

25-Dec-2006, 01:31 AM #4
Well my modem and router are on the other side of the house and I cant move either one to my room. I want to be wired instead of wireless
Account Disabled with 5,809 posts.

25-Dec-2006, 01:33 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox7399
Well my modem and router are on the other side of the house and I cant move either one to my room. I want to be wired instead of wireless
you'll need a 2nd phone line if you don't want wireless.
Computer Specs

25-Dec-2006, 02:32 AM #6
And also a second ISP subscription.

Just grab the router and run ethernet cables where nessecary.
Junior Member with 19 posts.

25-Dec-2006, 07:14 AM #7
Why do u need 2 dsl modems all you have to do is connect a micro filter on the main telephone socket , from the filter connect the leeds to modem and telephone and then connect the ethernet yellow cable from the modem to the router and power modem and router, possible you may have to bridge the modem.

Krishnasarma
Computer Specs

25-Dec-2006, 09:47 AM #8
They can however be used independently. If computer one was turned off (or modem turned off) then computer 2's modem would be free to connect. Then if computer 2's modem got switched off, computer 1 could connect.

The wouldn't be able to connect to the internet at the same time without a router.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 221 posts.

08-May-2007, 10:28 AM #9
i was pondering the same thing
i was thinking about internet speeds as i just upgraded my adsl plan to a faster5 times fasterplus 12 gig download limit and wonderd if i could do this or if i could use one modem for internetezplora only and one for all the other stuf so i can surf the net fast while downloading and i could swap them over when the download limit is reached on the one that dowloads so i dont get slowed down i got told your not ment to put more than one adsl spliter on one line so does this mean theres a limit of 4 per line

but than i figured out i only have 80 gig hard drive and well thought id google using 2 modems why not go for 10
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 221 posts.

08-May-2007, 10:30 AM #10
internetezplora internet explorer oops sounds like im drunk
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,056 posts.

08-May-2007, 03:45 PM #11
There is no way that I know of to operate more than exactly one DSL modem per phone line at one time. You do usually need a separate DSL microfilter for each phone that is connected to the same phone line. The recommended limit is usually four such filters per phone line.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

08-May-2007, 03:47 PM #12
There is a 100% certainty that you cannot run two DSL modems on a single telephone line. The DSL account is provisioned at the CO on that line, and it uses all the available bandwidth.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

06-Jun-2007, 10:49 PM #13
it worked
two dsl modems and one line is possible, however you might need two accounts, and you might need to reset your modems frequently ....
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

06-Jun-2007, 10:50 PM #14
it uses atm and it's sweet
lol
Senior Member with 414 posts.

07-Jun-2007, 06:07 AM #15
fox7399:

Let me guess: is your issue that someone is turning off the modem because they want to control your internet access?

If not, you'll have to convince them to plug modem / router in separately & always keep on.

If it's a distance issue, believe me-- you're much better off running as much cable as necessary to hard-wire your computer-- i've never been a fan of wireless: all the necessary security / encryption + signal degradation exact a heavy toll.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!