Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Wireless card not working properly

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 95 posts.

Experience: 75% Good/Okay 25% Idiot
06-Jan-2007, 06:54 PM #1
Solved: Wireless card not working properly
My wireless router is still working okay as far as I know but the card is not connecting.

The card bay in the laptop was damaged by some cretins and had to be repaired (at a cost of 60, which we are passing on to said cretins ) but cannot connect to the network after the repairs.

It is able to detect the network but if it does connect, it says there is no signal.

What can I do to fix this?

Giltrap

P.S. Here is what has happened so far. None of the computers connected to network, we connected 2, the router threw a wobbly, none connected, router was fixed, wireless connection works, cretins break my network slot, network slot repaired but no connection. You can see why I'm getting fed up with it... Sorry if I seem hostile.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,564 posts.

06-Jan-2007, 07:02 PM #2
so are all the PC's working on wireless OK now

download and install if - you can by maybe making a CD on one of the working PC
Free software to check signal strength of wireless is netstumbler 0.4.0 available for download from http://www.stumbler.net/

also have a look in device manager

start>
control panel>
system>
hardware tab>
device manager button>

network adapters
click on the + sign

post backs whats there

also any ! X or ?

Maybe the slot has not been repaired correctly
Computer Specs
Member with 95 posts.

06-Jan-2007, 07:10 PM #3
Network adapters
Here is what is onthe network adapters bit

Network adapters
Belkin 802.11g network adapter
Intel(R) Pro/100 VE Network Connection (It has a red X over the little picture)
I have not done the stumbler thing, I could connect Via Ethernet and try it.

This desktop is connected by Ethernet to the router and the Wireless bit of the router worked before. It should still be working, the WLAN light is on.

Oh, the only problem with the slot was that the runner things that guide the card in were broken. I don't know if the entire slot was replaced, or just the runners. I'ld have thought it was repaired properly though, the person who repaired it is very good.

Giltrap

Last edited by Giltrap; 06-Jan-2007 at 07:21 PM..
Computer Specs

06-Jan-2007, 07:22 PM #4
Quote:
Intel(R) Pro/100 VE Network Connection (It has a red X over the little picture)
Red X - Indication that the device has been disabled, removed or that Windows is unable to locate the device.

see if you can connect with ethernet - you may just need to enable the connection
and download the program

looks like the hardware is seen in device manager for wireless OK - assume no ! X or ? here

can detect the wireless and get an IP
Computer Specs
Member with 95 posts.

06-Jan-2007, 07:36 PM #5
I have just connected the laptop to the router via ethernet and posted this post from it

The intel one now does not have a red X and the belkin one does now have a red X. (I switched it as I disable the one I am not using)

When I disable the ethernet and enable the router, it is now not connecting. The WLAN light is still on the router.
Computer Specs

06-Jan-2007, 07:40 PM #6
Quote:
When I disable the ethernet and enable the router, it is now not connecting.
so the wireless is now working OK ?
Computer Specs
Member with 95 posts.

06-Jan-2007, 07:43 PM #7
Sorry about being unclear.

The ethernet works, the router works, the wireless card does not.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

06-Jan-2007, 09:50 PM #8
Did the person/company that repaired the hardware verify it worked before returning it to you? If not, take it back. Troubleshooting now doesn't make much sense given that a known hardware failure occurred.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,463 posts.

06-Jan-2007, 09:54 PM #9
What results do you get with NetStumbler?

Are you using a Belkin utility or XP's WZC to manage the wireless? And are you sure that the other one is not running?
Computer Specs
Member with 95 posts.

07-Jan-2007, 06:20 AM #10
Quote:
Did the person/company that repaired the hardware verify it worked before returning it to you? If not, take it back. Troubleshooting now doesn't make much sense given that a known hardware failure occurred.
The only damage to the slot was the alignment of the slot and the fact something was getting in the way, the pins and everything were intact so I don't really see what would have changed harware wise unless they changed the entire unit.
They showed us that the card would now go in but they did not show us the card worked as they do not have a wireless network in the shop.

Quote:
What results do you get with NetStumbler?
It does not show an IP address, Signals are all minus numbers and the noise is -100.
Could it be our stupid neighbor is using the same channel? I didn't know they had a wireless network until now, could it be that they just set theirs up during the laptop's downtime and it is messing up our connection?

Quote:
Are you using a Belkin utility or XP's WZC to manage the wireless? And are you sure that the other one is not running?
I am using XP's WZC to manage the wireless. The Belkin utility is running but not managing the wireless because I unchecked "Let this utility manage your wireless networks" (something along those lines)

Last edited by Giltrap; 07-Jan-2007 at 06:41 AM..
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

07-Jan-2007, 11:05 AM #11
If it worked before the hardware damage and not after, it seems pretty clear as to what the problem is. You can download all the software, utilities, and drivers in the world, but honestly I don't see you getting anywhere with this.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,463 posts.

07-Jan-2007, 11:06 AM #12
"Could it be our stupid neighbor is using the same channel?"

Certainly. Both NetStumbler and WZC ('view available networks') should show all detected networks with their channel numbers. I think that it depends on the adapter whether networks with SSID broadcast disabled show as 'hidden' or fail to show at all, so try different channels even if NetStumbler doesn't show that you have to. ETAF can help you much more than I can with NetStumbler results.

A 2.4Ghz cordless phone (yours or your neighbor's) can also interfere.
Computer Specs
Member with 95 posts.

07-Jan-2007, 11:30 AM #13
I'll contact the computer shop anyway, even though I'm not convinced that the hardware is the problem (It's probably because I know the people at the shop, and they do seem very good...). I suppose even though it does find the network, something could be up.

I tried changing the channel and nothing happened. Should I try another channel?
I don't think it would be their wireless that is causing the problem. They are 2 doors away after all...

Giltrap
Computer Specs

07-Jan-2007, 02:01 PM #14
so netstumbler finds your wireless network - SSID name - correct

- numbers are OK thats how they are displayed in the application

have a read here see if you need to do the same

http://forums.techguy.org/networking...-wireless.html
Computer Specs
Member with 95 posts.

07-Jan-2007, 02:34 PM #15
Netstumbler finds the wireless network and the SSID is correct.

Which post should I be looking at in the thread?

WZC is working fine as the Chose a wireless connection window shows our wireless connection. (Post 13 on that thread)

Giltrap
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!