Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: User has not been Granted the Requested Login Type

(!)

Computer Specs
Senior Member with 302 posts.

Experience: beginner at most things
07-Jan-2007, 07:18 PM #1
Solved: Same problem here..
.. I have had the same problem as kickrz. My laptop cant access my main PC. Access denied message. I have been following this post and have just rebooted my PC after doing the regedit suggestion. Ill be able to tell you if it made a difference in a mo....

. I have both computers named the same workgroup (NETWORK12)
. I can see the two computers names in View Workgroup Computers in my Network Places Folder on both PC and Laptop .

I have just rebooted PC and still cannot access PC from laptop though can do it from PC to laptop.

When i double click "DAD(Mark)" in view workgroup computers from the laptop i get this message

\\Mark is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

So still cannot access PC from Laptop.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

07-Jan-2007, 07:36 PM #2
Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer

If you see this message the following should be done on the computer containing the shared files:

Download the following and install it

Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=4544

after installation is complete, click on: Start, All Programs, Windows Resource Kit Tools, Command Shell

Then enter the following commands. (Attention: they are case sensitive.)

net user guest /active:yes
ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

The first command enables network access for Guest, the two subsequent ones change two different policies to allow network access for Guest.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 302 posts.

Experience: beginner at most things
08-Jan-2007, 04:46 PM #3
JohnWill and JohnDoes :)
Look at me. I am sharing instead of swearing. I am streaming instead of beaming. Its all done to the good JohnWill. The last post was spot on.

I tried quite a few times to set up my network and scratched my head whilst trying to troubleshoot this problem by myself. Then JohnWill comes and bags it in one post. I would never have knew to do that. You would have thought that my XP machine had all the relevant command lines and software to get the Network up and running. Thankyou JohnWill mwa, mwa.

Regards,
Marcan
Computer Specs

08-Jan-2007, 06:21 PM #4
You're welcome, glad it got you going.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Jun-2008, 02:32 PM #5
Smile Eureka!! Finally!!
JohnWill, thanks from the bottom of the glass for the tip on solving the sharing issue. I have tried multiple strategies to get this working this whole week and nothing has worked right. Once I used your instructions I was in business. To think it was something this basic once you figure it out. Microsoft should not make it so hard to share files/folders with Windows XP Pro. I have absoultely scoured the internets and no advice worked until your tip.

Dude, you totally rock and thanks for the advice!!
Computer Specs

27-Jun-2008, 05:52 PM #6
I'm not sure why this gets screwed up, this fix is normally not necessary.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Jul-2008, 01:56 PM #7
Thumbs up brilliant fix !
Hi Will,
just read your post as i losing all hope .worked like a charm - i only needed to add Guest once which automatically enabled access for all users.
thanks to you i have rebuild a complete working AD tree within the day !!

regards
Computer Specs

27-Jul-2008, 06:05 PM #8
Glad we could help out.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!