Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: "How To Create a simple LAN and Internet Sharing"

(!)

View Poll Results: We must be dependent on Vendor to create a LAN and Internet Connection Sharing ?
Yes 1 20.00%
No 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 18 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Jan-2007, 11:49 AM #1
Exclamation Solved: "How To Create a simple LAN and Internet Sharing"
Hi, Welcome

I have no any prior experience to install Windows Server 2003 and Creating LAN using Windows Xp on All the work stations.

But I am an expert in installing windows xp on my personal network. but now my computer hardware vendor is not telling me the way i can create a domain.

Please tell me only the Software Setting becoz i think that i can install windows xp on all the system but only Not the Server so please be specific.

Thanks
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

18-Jan-2007, 12:38 PM #2
I'll take a stab at interpreting your post.

You've been put in charge of a project that involves installing and configuring a server and setting up a domain for several computers? And you have absolutely no experience with any of these tasks?

My first question is why were you assigned to do something in an area where you do not have the skills?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

18-Jan-2007, 05:43 PM #3
I think a more accurate interpretation is we have a homework assignment, and we're hoping someone else will do it for us.
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Beginner
18-Jan-2007, 06:41 PM #4
I am confused. Can you be more specific?
Member with 22,468 posts.

18-Jan-2007, 07:11 PM #5
Installing a Windows2003 server might be a bit more involved than a simple XP network. Might want to start by getting a book that makes sense and covers the topics relevant to your situation.

For starters, it will create a domain as part of the install. But it goes way past that as far as the need to set up user accounts, shares, access rights, etc.
Computer Specs

19-Jan-2007, 01:47 AM #6
Lightbulb Nothing to be specific except : I want to Create A Domain
Hi, Welcome & Thanks for all techsupport guys who have respond me so fast.

To be more specific : please note below mentioned situation of mine ...

I have 6 PC's . running windows xp.
config. : Main system : P4, Rest 5 pcs are celeron processor

Having an Internet connection.

Still they are in workgroup.

Now i want to create a domain.

I want to install server 2003 on the Main Computer and want to share Internet with all the other 5 PC's.

I can help you to help me by saying this that i m quite friendly with computer since more that 4 years and have completed CCNA but never install a LAN.

Please help me ! I want to remove the dependency of my Vendor who have given me a D-Link Router of more than 13000 Indian Rs.and Now saying that it will not work.

Thanks.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

19-Jan-2007, 06:11 AM #7
u looser
u looser u have completed ccna and dnt know how to create a lan, google it its simple else call me at yr place i'll charge less money, i'm an mcse

19-Jan-2007, 09:32 AM #8
Setting up a domain is a bit more involved than reading a few posts on a forum. It sounds like you have no background or experience to complete this task. You should hire a company to come in and complete it for you.
Member with 4,014 posts.

Experience: Learning everyday :)
19-Jan-2007, 09:51 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by prashantnautiyal
u looser u have completed ccna and dnt know how to create a lan, google it its simple else call me at yr place i'll charge less money, i'm an mcse
What is a "looser"?

If by chance you mean "loser", then it is ironic that you mispelled the very word you were calling him. He came to the forum for help on a topic, not to be called a "looser".

19-Jan-2007, 11:15 AM #10
It sounds like the poster's first language may not be English. For a forum to help, this would add a layer of complexity to the situation.

To the poster: Your posts have been a bit harsh. I see you're new here, so Welcome. Be aware that people here volunteer their time to help people with their computer problems. Helping you install Windows Server and configure a domain would take a significant commitment on the part of these volunteers.

Your first post, and your poll, ask if you should complete this task on your own or bring in an outside vendor. I'm going to again recommend that you bring in an outside vendor.

I understand you have 4 years of computer experience and are familiar with desktop operating systems. However, in this case, that skill will only be needed for a small part of this project.
Computer Specs

20-Jan-2007, 01:33 AM #11
Thumbs up Thanks Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cerelli
Installing a Windows2003 server might be a bit more involved than a simple XP network. Might want to start by getting a book that makes sense and covers the topics relevant to your situation.

For starters, it will create a domain as part of the install. But it goes way past that as far as the need to set up user accounts, shares, access rights, etc.

Hi, Bob

Thanks for your more practical suggestion & proper view of the problem.

Thanks again
Computer Specs

20-Jan-2007, 01:38 AM #12
Thumbs up Thanks Double Helix
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix
It sounds like the poster's first language may not be English. For a forum to help, this would add a layer of complexity to the situation.

To the poster: Your posts have been a bit harsh. I see you're new here, so Welcome. Be aware that people here volunteer their time to help people with their computer problems. Helping you install Windows Server and configure a domain would take a significant commitment on the part of these volunteers.

Your first post, and your poll, ask if you should complete this task on your own or bring in an outside vendor. I'm going to again recommend that you bring in an outside vendor.

I understand you have 4 years of computer experience and are familiar with desktop operating systems. However, in this case, that skill will only be needed for a small part of this project.
Thanks Dear DoubleHelix
Here I have come to learn new skills that i have not.
Your suggestion is best in all sense to call a vendor. but here in india Vendor's are not so much co-operative and I also lives in a small city where they are not technical.

And If I will try definitely I will do it on my own.

The purpose was of this post is to see a simple problems simple solutions.

Thanks to bother all the techguys but i will be here for my kind of persons to help them also.

Thanks again Double Helix.
Computer Specs

20-Jan-2007, 01:42 AM #13
Thumbs up Thanks smooth : you are the best
Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth
What is a "looser"?

If by chance you mean "loser", then it is ironic that you mispelled the very word you were calling him. He came to the forum for help on a topic, not to be called a "looser".
Thanks dear smooth,

You are the best problem solver. I appreciate the view from which you seen the problem and also Quote to PrashantNotiyal. See my response to Pranshant Nautiyal.

Take care

Thanks again
Computer Specs

20-Jan-2007, 02:13 AM #14
Smile Thanks Prashant : Feel Free to see the solution without any charge "Less" or "More"
Quote:
Originally Posted by prashantnautiyal
Thanks dear,

You are mcse but can't provide the solution of the problem. but dont worry see this ..

Installing Windows Server 2003 as a Domain Controller

The Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Deployment step-by-step guides provide hands-on experience for many common operating system configurations. The guides begin by establishing a common network infrastructure through the installation of Windows Server 2003, the configuration of Active Directory, the installation of a Windows XP Professional workstation, and finally the addition of this workstation to a domain. Subsequent step-by-step guides assume that you have this common network infrastructure in place. If you do not wish to follow this common network infrastructure, you will need to make appropriate modifications while using these guides.

The common network infrastructure requires the completion of the following guides.

Part 1 : Installing Windows Server 2003 as a Domain Controller
Part 2 : Installing a Windows XP Professional Workstation and Connecting it to a Domain

These are the hardware requirements for the common infrastructure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Quantity Comments
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Server(s) 1 Capable of running Windows Server 2003

Workstation(s) As Needed Capable of running Windows XP Professional

Network Hub(s) As Needed A private network is recommended

Remote Access Hardware As Needed For testing slow-link and remote connections

Network Interface Cards As Needed 100 MB Card

UPS Optional To protect the servers

Printer Optional To print configuration information and other tests

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Server Installation :

Beginning the Installation

Setup creates the disk partitions on the computer running Windows Server 2003, formats the drive, and then copies installation files from the CD to the server.

Note: These instructions assume that you are installing Windows Server 2003 on a computer that is not already running Windows. If you are upgrading from an older version of Windows, some of the installation steps may differ.

To begin the installation

1. Insert the Windows Server 2003 CD in the CD-ROM drive.

2. Restart the computer. If prompted, press any key to boot from the CD.

The Windows Server 2003 installation begins.

3. On the Welcome to Setup screen, press Enter.

4. Review and, if acceptable, agree to the license agreement by pressing F8.

Note: If you had a previous version of Windows Server 2003 installed on this server, you might get a message asking if you want to repair the drive. Press Esc to continue and not repair the drive.

5. Follow the instructions to delete all existing disk partitions. The exact steps will differ based on the number and type of partitions already on the computer. Continue to delete partitions until all disk space is labeled as Unpartitioned space.

6. When all disk space is labeled as Unpartitioned space, press C to create a partition in the unpartitioned space on the first disk drive (as applicable).

7. If your server has a single disk drive, split the available disk space in half to create two equal-sized partitions. Delete the total space default value. Type the value of half your total disk space at the Create partition of size (in MB) prompt, and the press Enter. (If your server has two disk drives, type the total size of the first drive at this prompt.)

8. After the New <Raw> partition is created, press Enter.

9. Select Format the partition using the NTFS file system <Quick>, and then press Enter.

Windows Server 2003 Setup formats the partition and then copies the files from the Windows Server 2003 Server CD to the hard drive. The computer restarts and the Windows Server 2003 Installation Program continues.

Completing the Installation

To continue the installation with the Windows Server 2003 Setup Wizard

1. The Windows Server 2003 Setup Wizard detects and installs devices. This can take several minutes, and during the process your screen may flicker.

2. In the Regional and Language Options dialog box, make changes required for your locale (typically, none are required for the United States), and then click Next.

3. In the Personalize Your Software dialog, type Mike Nash in the Name box and type Reskit in the Organization box. Click Next.

4. Type the Product Key (found on the back of your Windows Server 2003 CD case) in the text boxes provided, and then click Next.

5. In the Licensing Modes dialog box, select the appropriate licensing mode for your organization, and then click Next.

6. In the Computer Name and Administrator Password dialog box, type the new computer name HQ-CON-DC-01 in the computer name box, and then click Next.

Best Practice: To facilitate the steps in these guides, the Administrator password is left blank and there is no password. This is not an acceptable security practice. When installing a server for your production network, a password should always be set. Windows Server 2003 requires complex passwords by default.

7. When prompted by Windows Setup, click Yes to confirm a blank Administrator password.

8. In the Date and Time Settings dialog box, correct the current date and time if necessary, and then click Next.

9. In the Networking Settings dialog box, make sure Typical Settings is selected, and then click Next.

10. In the Workgroups or Computer Domain dialog box (No is selected by default), click Next.

Note: A domain name could be specified at this point, but this guide uses the Configure Your Server Wizard to create the domain name at a later time.

The Windows Server 2003 Installation continues and configures the necessary components. This may take a few minutes.

11. The server restarts and the operating system loads from the hard drive.

Preparing a Secondary Partition or Secondary Disk Drive

The unpartitioned space from the installation of Windows Server 2003 requires formatting before it can be accessed by the operating system. Management of disks and partitions occurs through the Computer Management snap-in for Microsoft Management Console. The following steps assume a second disk drive is in use; modify procedures accordingly for a second partition.

To prepare a secondary partition or disk drive

Warning: Formatting a partition destroys all data on that partition. Make sure that you select the correct partition.

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and log on to the server as administrator. Leave the password blank.

2. Click the Start button, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Computer Management.

3. To define and format the unpartitioned space, click Disk Management.

4. Right-click Unallocated on Disk 1.

5. To define a partition, click New Partition, and then click Next to continue.

6. Select Primary Partition (default), and then click Next to continue.

7. Click Next leaving the Partition size in MB set to the default.

8. For Assign the following drive letter, select L, and then click Next to continue.

9. Under Format this partition with the following settings, click Perform a quick format. Click Next, and then Finish to complete the configuration of the secondary disk drive.

10. Close the Computer Management console.

Configuring Your Server as a DHCP Server

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) can be installed manually or by using the Windows Server 2003 Manage Your Server wizard. This section uses the wizard to complete the installation.

To install DHCP using the Windows Server 2003 Manage Your Server wizard

Warning: The following section will configure your server as a DHCP server. If this server resides on a production network, the server may distribute IP address information that might not be valid on the network. Microsoft recommends that these exercises be completed on an isolated network.

1. Within the Manager Your Server page, click Add or remove a role.

Note: If you closed the Manage Your Server page you can start the Configure Your Server wizard from Administrative Tools. If you select this option the following steps may differ slightly.

2. After the Configure Your Server wizard appears, click Next.

3. Click Custom configuration, and then click Next.

4. Under Server Role, click DHCP server, and then click Next.

5. Review the Summary of Selections, and then click Next to begin the installation.

6. When the New Scope Wizard appears, click Next to define a DHCP scope.

7. For Name, type Contoso HQ. Leave the description blank, and then click Next.

8. Enter a Start IP address of 10.0.0.10 and enter 10.0.0.254 for the End IP address. Click Next.

9. Exclusions will not be defined at this time. Click Next to continue the installation.

10. To accept the default Lease Duration, click Next.

11. To set DHCP Options, click Next.

12. On the Router (Default Gateway) screen, type 10.0.0.1 for IP address, click Add, and then click Next.

13. For Parent Domain on the Domain Name and DNS Server screen, type contoso.com. For IP address, type 10.0.0.2, click Add, and then click Next.

14. Click Next as WINS Servers will not be utilized in this environment.

15. Click Next to Activate Scope.

16. Click Finish twice.

17. Close the Manage Your Server screen.

Configuring Your Server as a Domain Controller

Domain Name Service (DNS) and DCPromo (the command-line tool that creates DNS and Active Directory) can be installed manually or by using the Windows Server 2003 Manager Your Server Wizard. This section uses the manual tools to complete the installation.

To install DNS and Active Directory using the manual tools

1. Click the Start button, click Run, type DCPROMO, and then click OK.

2. When the Active Directory Installation Wizard appears, click Next to begin the installation.

3. After reviewing the Operating System Compatibility information, click Next.

4. Select Domain controller for a new domain (default), and then click Next.

5. Select Domain in a new forest (default), and then click Next.

6. For Full DNS name, type contoso.com, and then click Next. (This represents a Fully Qualified name.)

7. Click Next to accept the default Domain NetBIOS name of CONTOSO. (NetBIOS names provides for down-level compatibility.)

8. On the Database and Log Folders screen, point the Active Directory Log Folder to L:\Windows\NTDS, and then click Next to continue.

9. Leave the default folder location for Shared System Volume, and then click Next.

10. On the DNS Registration Diagnostics screen, click Install and configure the DNS server on this computer. Click Next to continue.

11. Select Permissions compatible only with Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 (default), and then click Next.

12. Type password for Restore Mode Password and Confirm password, and then click Next to continue.

Note: Production environments should employ complex passwords for Directory Services Restore passwords.

13. Figure 3 represents a summary of the Active Directory installation options. Click Next to start the installation of Active Directory. If prompted, insert the Windows Server 2003 installation CD.

14. Click OK to acknowledge the warning of having a dynamically assigned IP address for a DNS server.

15. If you have more than one network interface, select the 10.0.0.0 network interface from the Choose Connection drop-down list, and then click Properties.

16. Under the This connection uses the following items section, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.

17. Select Use the following IP address, and then type 10.0.0.2 for the IP address. Press the Tab key twice, and then type 10.0.0.1 for the Default gateway. Type 127.0.0.1 for the Preferred DNS server, and then click OK. Click Close to continue.

18. Click Finish once the Active Directory Installation Wizard is finished.

19. Click Restart Now to reboot the computer.

To authorize the DHCP server

1. After the computer reboots, press Ctrl+Alt+Del and log on to the server as administrator@contoso.com. Leave the password blank.

2. Click the Start menu, select Administrative Tools, and then click DHCP

3. Click hq-con-dc-01.contoso.com. Right click hq-con-dc-01.contoso.com and then click Authorize

4. Close the DHCP management console

Active Directory Sample Infrastructure

The common infrastructure is based on the fictitious organization Contoso. Contoso owns the DNS name contoso.com, which was configured with the Active Directory Installation Wizard in the preceding section.

Populating Active Directory

This section describes how to manually create the OUs, Users, and Security Groups outlined in Appendix A.

Creating Organizational Units and Groups
To create OUs and Security Groups

1. Click the Start button, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Active Directory Users and Computers.

2. Click the + next to contoso.com to expand it. Click contoso.com itself to show its contents in the right pane.

3. In the left pane, right-click contoso.com, point to New, and then click Organizational Unit.

4. Type Accounts in the name box, and then click OK.

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to create the Groups and Resources OUs.

6. Click Accounts in the left pane. Its contents now display in the right pane. (It is empty at the beginning of this procedure.)

7. Right-click Accounts, point to New, and then click Organizational Unit.

8. Type Headquarters, and then click OK.

9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 to create the Production and Marketing OUs in Accounts.

10. In the same way, create Desktops, Laptops, and Servers in the Resources OU.

11. Create the two security groups by right-clicking Groups, pointing to New, and then clicking Group. The two groups to add are Management and Non-management. The settings for each group should be Global and Security. Click OK to create each group.

Creating User Accounts
To create a user account

1. In the left-hand pane, click Headquarters (in Accounts).. Its contents now display in the right pane. (It is empty at the beginning of this procedure.)

2. Right-click Headquarters, point to New, and then click User.

3. Type Christine for the first name and Koch for the last name. (Note that the full name automatically appears in the Full name box.)

4. Type Christine for the User logon name. The window should look like Figure 7.

5. Click Next.

6. Type pass#word1 for Password and Confirm password, and then click Next to continue.

Note: By default, Windows Server 2003 requires complex passwords for all newly created users. Password complexity requirements may be disabled through Group Policy.

7. Click Finish. Christine Koch now displays in the right-hand pane as a user under Reskit.com/Accounts/Headquarters.

8. Repeat steps 2 through 7

9. Repeat steps 1 through 8 to create the users in the Production and Marketing OUs.

Adding Users to Security Groups
To add a user to a security group

1. In the left pane, click Groups.

2. In the right pane, double-click the Management group.

3. Click the Members tab, and then click Add.

4. Click Advanced, and then click Find Now.

5. Select all appropriate users from the lower section by holding down the Ctrl key while clicking each name. Click OK while all members are highlighted.

Click OK again to add these members to the Management Security Group. Click OK to close the Management Security Group Properties sheet.

6. Repeat steps 2 through 5 to add members to the Non-management group.

7. Close the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in.

That is the solution for all the new comers of tech guy.

All new comers can find this same information with figures by clicking on this link :

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../domcntrl.mspx

I have found them and will definitely learn by applying them without doing MCSE.

Thanks again Mr. Prashant Nautiyal

Last edited by kshitijdivakar; 20-Jan-2007 at 02:19 AM..
Member with 22,468 posts.

20-Jan-2007, 01:01 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshitijdivakar
Hi, Bob

Thanks for your more practical suggestion & proper view of the problem.

Thanks again
You are welcome and it looks you are now on your way. Have fun and best of success.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!