Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Access permissions on home network

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Feb-2007, 11:33 PM #1
Solved: Access permissions on home network
MSHOME is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found.

This is the error message I get when I try to see any computers, printers, or storage devices connected to my home network. Sometimes, I can see other computers that are attached, but I cannot access them and receive a similar error message. Other times, I cannot even see any of my network. I have not lost connectivity to the internet, only to my local systems.

There are several computers attached to my network, all are running Windows XP SP2. One of my laptops can see all and touch all, but the rest cannot. Iíll focus on the computer that I am currently on. It is an AMD 3000+ that is wired to a Linksys wireless N router that is connected to a cable modem. The SP2 firewall is off and I am running Zone Labs Zonealarm. My home network IP range is setup in the ďTrustedĒ zone. I can ping the computers and devices attached, and can send print jobs to my network (wired) printer, but I canít even view my home network, reference the error message above. And, as I indicated earlier, I donít even receive the same error message day after day. All of my computers used to communicate with each other very well. I cannot say for sure when this trouble started. I donít often try to attach to my other machines, but I sure canít do it now.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might have happened and how to rectify it? I would sure appreciate the help!
Member with 22,468 posts.

11-Feb-2007, 11:28 AM #2
The basics for troubleshooting are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting usually works. If browsing is a problem, you might set it to Enabled. But do not Disable it.

----

If you are always getting Access Denied errors when trying to connect to a XP computer,
and you know you have the correct user names and passwords on the computer,
the solution may be a simple registry edit.

1. Start Regedit
2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlSet / Control / Lsa
3. Change the value of a key called "restrictanonymous" to 0 instead of 1
4. Don't change "restrictanonymoussam" value.
5. Reboot
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,450 posts.

11-Feb-2007, 03:56 PM #3
Uninstall Zone Alarm and any other 3rd party firewalls (Cerelli's famous #6!) and if you still have any problems we can tackle them.
Computer Specs

20-Feb-2007, 01:25 AM #4
Bob,
Thanks for the feedback. I disabled Zone Alarm, (then uninstalled it) and my problems seem to have been solved. Oddly enough, I've had ZA installed for 5+ years with regular updates and all was working well until a short while ago when the system decided to no longer recognize the home network. The only software that has really been updated recently has been Windows... Don't understand it, just have to be able to fix it!!

Thanks again,
Mike
Computer Specs

20-Feb-2007, 01:28 AM #5
Terry,
I'd also like to thank you. As you can see from the post to Bob, the firewall was the problem. I don't know how it would start acting up, once I got it running the way I wanted it to, I leave it alone. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Mike
Member with 22,468 posts.

20-Feb-2007, 01:33 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriantumr
Bob,
Thanks for the feedback. I disabled Zone Alarm, (then uninstalled it) and my problems seem to have been solved. Oddly enough, I've had ZA installed for 5+ years with regular updates and all was working well until a short while ago when the system decided to no longer recognize the home network. The only software that has really been updated recently has been Windows... Don't understand it, just have to be able to fix it!!

Thanks again,
Mike
That #6

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

Get's it solved pretty frequently.

Glad it's working and thanks for posting back
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,450 posts.

20-Feb-2007, 12:53 PM #7
I don't use Zone Alarm but from reading other threads I've developed the theory that after some of ZA's updates its configuration somehow changes. If you install it and again configure it to allow your LAN subnet you will probably be OK.

Of course, both your router's and XP's firewall will protect you from incoming attacks, and encryption of your wireless keeps intruders off that, so what ZA adds is protection from outgoing attacks (e.g., spyware calling home). Is your risk sufficient to warrant the extra hassle of ZA?

P.S.--since I only use XP's firewall, when I take my laptop to a public hotspot I set it to "On-No Exceptions."

You may want to mark this 'solved' using the Thread Tools at the upper right.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!