Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

slow internet start up? windows xp

(!)

Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Feb-2007, 01:52 AM #1
slow internet start up? windows xp
Here is the problem..............

As soon as i open internet explorer it pops up but it takes about two minutes before i can start to surf the internet. I guess i got a virus but dont know how to fix it. I've installed Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware SE both seem to scan and find some cookie viruses but after i clean them and start all over it says that there are no viruses found. Yet when i start up a new window for the internet it still takes two minutes before i can surf. Once i can surf everything seems to be in working order. Whats wrong???????????????
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,816 posts.

19-Feb-2007, 11:36 AM #2
hi and welcome

what is the homepage set to? (as in the first page IE opens to)

Does your internet work fine after that?

what is your setup? ie cable internet > modem < PC or internet > modem > router < PC

19-Feb-2007, 11:49 AM #3
My home page is set to www.google.com. well after the two minute pause yes it works just fine but i dont remember any pause at all. my set up is cable internet.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.

19-Feb-2007, 11:51 AM #4
You do have a router inbetween the modem and your PC?

19-Feb-2007, 11:55 AM #5
yes i do

19-Feb-2007, 12:04 PM #6
OK, it could be one of two things:

1) your router is slow to respond
2) it's a software issue.

When you did the Spybot and Ad-Aware scans, did you do any virus scans with an anti-virus program, like AVG or Norton?

Also which router do you have?

19-Feb-2007, 01:48 PM #7
Sorry to respond late but im at work ill respond when i can thanks. But anyway um when i did the scans i thought that, thats what the program was for (anti-virus)? I guess i dont know the difference. hmm....
Computer Specs
Member with 5,119 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Feb-2007, 01:57 PM #8
Spybot and AdAware are both spyware tools. You still need an anti-virus program.. I have had good success using the free AVG by Grisoft... You can download it from
www.grisfoft.com: or www.download.com.. It is free but you may have to do some hunting to find it on the site.
Vicks

19-Feb-2007, 02:06 PM #9
Awsome thanks! So what are purpose of spybot and adaware vs AVG?
Computer Specs
Member with 5,119 posts.

19-Feb-2007, 02:28 PM #10
I understand that the SB/Adaware both help prevent sites from installing spy ware on your computer (this allows companies to track your searches and even take over your computer and use it to send junk on to others)
Anti-virus, keeps viruses, worms etc. off your computer that can infect your computer and cause operating troubles, even disabling it. A few years ago my daughter got a virus on her computer and it took me about 6 hrs. of searching, etc to remove it.. she had let her anti-virus program expire.... I installed the free AVG on it and she has had no more trouble.
Good luck...
Vicks
Computer Specs
Member with 5,119 posts.

19-Feb-2007, 02:30 PM #11
Oh, also, once you install the antivirus, run it immediately in the normal way, then reboot your computer in safe mode and re run it. (the other two also will sometimes find something in the safe mode that are not found normally.)
Vicks

19-Feb-2007, 02:33 PM #12
I will do as you say. Thank you once again.

19-Feb-2007, 06:40 PM #13
www.majorgeeks.com has the setup file. (Under Antivirus on the left menu)

Spybot S&D and Ad-aware does not prevent it, rather detect it. If you want prevent it, SpywareBlaster is the way to go IMHO

19-Feb-2007, 11:14 PM #14
is it free?

19-Feb-2007, 11:42 PM #15
Oh sorry by the way i have a cable modem then from the modem it goes straight to my pc. running a AVG right now see if this will cure my slow internet start up.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!