Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Use my laptop to print from a printer attached to a networked computer?

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Ummm... I'm dumb
24-Feb-2007, 07:58 PM #1
Use my laptop to print from a printer attached to a networked computer?
Okay umm im really sorry if this was already asked or whatever but i couldnt find anything.

I have windows XP on both my laptop and my home computer which has the printer attached to it. They're already networked, i have the internet and it works. but i have no idea how to set it up so that the laptop will print from the home computer's printer.

the printer is an hp deskjet 5550 series, im not sure if thats important or even the right information though sorry.

please help? Oh and if you can't tell i dont really know anything about computers but i need help with this, so thanks for being patient haha.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,284 posts.

24-Feb-2007, 08:51 PM #2
Here is a wizard way to set up file and printer sharing.

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Create a disk at the end only if you have a Windows PC other than XP or 2k Pro.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2) will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders (or drives) or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes or so) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!