Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

kicked off of network after ~8 min

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Beginner
14-Mar-2007, 05:43 PM #1
kicked off of network after ~8 min
hi all. my problem is that my network kicks me off after 8 min or so EVERY time.

i reboot, and it connects and works fine for 8 minutes, then i get no internet.

what should i do to fix it?

thanks!

(any info you need?)
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,729 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Mar-2007, 06:20 PM #2
Wireless or wired? Connected to a router or direct to a modem?
Computer Specs

14-Mar-2007, 07:14 PM #3
wireless, connected thru a router.

modem: motorola sb4220 surfboard
router: WRT54G (linksys)
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,256 posts.

14-Mar-2007, 07:35 PM #4
Do you have Service Pack 2? Using Windows XP's WZC or the wireless adapter's utility? Any other networks detected?

Is it just the wireless connection that is lost?

Do you connect this computer to any other wireless networks? If so, does the same problem occur?
Computer Specs

14-Mar-2007, 07:42 PM #5
i'm pretty sure i have sp 2. i have been downloading the windows updates and stuff.

i have no idea what windows xp's wzc means. my comp does detect other networks, and i can successfully connect (sometimes). and it seems to work fine. although sometimes it says i connected, and i get a "very good" connection speed or whatever, but can't use the internet at all.

when i try to use my network, the connection is lost (the bubble: 'unable to connect' pops up) and i am unable to reconnect. if i try to repair the problem by clicking repair, it gets stuck at connecting to network.

this was all working fine until one day when the cable stopped working. someone unplugged the cable and it had to be plugged in by comcast guys again. the router was exchanged in the process, and the network was reset. my roommate has no problems now, but i always get dropped after about 8 minutes.

Last edited by hummerlein; 14-Mar-2007 at 08:06 PM..
Computer Specs

15-Mar-2007, 08:37 AM #6
If more than one wireless utility is running they will conflict, leading to the disconnects or inability to connect at all. I assume from your comment that you are not using WZC; make sure it is not running, as follows.

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - if Windows Zero Configuration is Started, Stop it and change the Startup Type to 'disabled.'
Computer Specs

15-Mar-2007, 10:58 AM #7
hey thanks. i tried that but it didn't work. couldn't connect at all.

is it possible that it's a problem with the way the network was set up? it was reset in the whole cable unplugging/replugging fiasco. however, my roommate's comp works fine with it.

but nothing on my computer should have changed between being able to connect - cable death - network and router reset - cable replugged - can't connect
Computer Specs

15-Mar-2007, 07:02 PM #8
What problem are we chasing? Post #1 had "my network kicks me off after 8 min or so EVERY time" but now you say "can't connect."

What is your wireless adapter (brand and model) and what wireless utility are you using to manage the wireless?
Computer Specs

15-Mar-2007, 08:02 PM #9
sorry, it is the same problem. i get kicked off after 8 min, and then am unable to connect. when i said "can't connect" i meant "can't connect...for longer than 8 min per boot"

all the info i can get for my adapter (in device manager) is wireless G pci (linksys)

to manage the wireless network i click the little computer at the bottom of the screen with bars coming off of it (next to the clock) which i assume is the WZC because when i disabled it that quit working (and i was not able to connect to anything). i re-enabled it and it is back to working the way it did before. can connect for long periods of time to other networks, but not my own (8 minutes every boot, then unable to connect).
Computer Specs

15-Mar-2007, 08:38 PM #10
Are you sure that the Linksys wireless utility is not running? Look at Applications and Processes in Task Manager to see if anything looks like "linksys."

Check the Linksys web site to see if there is a driver update for your adapter.

The following is very unlikely to be the problem, but checking it is rather quick.

In Network Connections Right-click on your wireless connection and click on "Properties"
click on the "Authentication" tab
Uncheck "Enable network access control using IEEE 802.1X"
Click "OK"
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!