Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Enabling UPnP

(!)

Member with 34 posts.

02-Apr-2007, 08:39 PM #1
Enabling UPnP
I use a Versalink Westell 327W modem/router. I was told I should enable my UPnP, think is, I don't know how to go about doing. Could anyone help?

I know how to get into the router through the I.P, the tab reads "Westell Versalink Wireless Gateway"
Member with 5,520 posts.

Experience: Advanced...I guess... ;)
02-Apr-2007, 10:06 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfzbaker
I use a Versalink Westell 327W modem/router. I was told I should enable my UPnP, think is, I don't know how to go about doing. Could anyone help?

I know how to get into the router through the I.P, the tab reads "Westell Versalink Wireless Gateway"
Howdy rfzbaker...

I'm curious...why was you told that you need to enable this ?

You don't really need the Universal Plug and Pray service enabled...

But if you need it, right click on My Computer - Manage - Services and Applications - Services - look for the service called "Universal Plug and Play Device Host" - double click on it - in Start up Type, click on the down arrow - select Manual - Apply button, then the Start button...
Member with 34 posts.

03-Apr-2007, 07:13 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi_Master
Howdy rfzbaker...

I'm curious...why was you told that you need to enable this ?

You don't really need the Universal Plug and Pray service enabled...

But if you need it, right click on My Computer - Manage - Services and Applications - Services - look for the service called "Universal Plug and Play Device Host" - double click on it - in Start up Type, click on the down arrow - select Manual - Apply button, then the Start button...
What exactly does it do. I was told it'd help my download speeds.
Member with 5,520 posts.

Experience: Advanced...I guess... ;)
03-Apr-2007, 07:19 PM #4
It's mainly for device setup/discovery, (just like plug and play in Windows)...

Read more from here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play

It...will...not...help...download...speeds...
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

03-Apr-2007, 07:29 PM #5
Windows Vista will require the UPnP to be enabled to declare the router "fully Vista compatible". That being said, I run with it disabled, and my Vista machines access the net just fine.

What UPnP will do is attempt to automatically forward ports for applications that require them. That's a double-edged sword, since you may not want an application to be able to forward ports without you knowing.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!