Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Accessing work PC remotely from behind a Linksys router at home

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Apr-2007, 03:01 PM #1
Accessing work PC remotely from behind a Linksys router at home
I am using Remote Desktop Access to access my PC at work from my laptop at home which is behind a security enabled Linksys WRT54G wireless router.

Although I have enabled my PC at work to be remotely accessed and I have been successful in accessing it when I am on the WEP secured wireless network at work, I cannot access it when I am home.

I have seen several posts related to this but nothing seems to work. A step by step directions to get this solved would be great.

I am sure everything is in order in the work computer but there is probably some configuration with the Linksys router that is not allowing me to use Remote Desktop Access.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,910 posts.

Experience: Seasoned Professional
04-Apr-2007, 03:09 PM #2
You would first need to create a VPN connection from your home PC to your work's network.
Computer Specs

04-Apr-2007, 03:15 PM #3
How does one create a VPN connection from home to work? Is there a step by step guide for this?
Computer Specs
Member with 2,910 posts.

Experience: Seasoned Professional
04-Apr-2007, 04:17 PM #4
You would need to contact your IT department. Every company is different, as it depends on the hardware that is used on the network side.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

04-Apr-2007, 07:28 PM #5
Actually, if you just have a SOHO router at work, all you need to do to use Remote Desktop is to forward the correct port to the work machine through that router. Port 3389 is what you need to forward.
Computer Specs

04-Apr-2007, 08:21 PM #6
What is SOHO router? I have a Linksys WRT54G (Version 5) router at home. I have used the port forwarding in Linksys -- basically I have specified 3389 as the start and end values, have allowed both kinds of protocol, and have specified the IP address of the computer that I will be using to access my work computer from home. It still does not work. Is there anything else I need to do? Would greatly appreciate your help.

How does one use the work router to forward the correct port to the work machine through that router? Does it require the Network admin's help at work?

Last edited by jsrivast; 04-Apr-2007 at 08:55 PM..
Senior Member with 129 posts.

Experience: A+, NET+, Apple, Dell, CCNA
04-Apr-2007, 11:34 PM #7
Yes because chances are if its a average sized or better network at your job they arent using basic home routers like the ones you use at your house. You would have to speak with the network engineers-admins and they would have to setup vpn-port fowarding
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

05-Apr-2007, 09:03 AM #8
What's the network at work look like? I mis-read, thought that router was at work. The work location is where the forwarded port needs to be addressed, you don't need any ports forwarded at your end to initiate the session from home.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!