Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

What is DSL Lite?

(!)

Member with 19,134 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Apr-2007, 06:11 AM #1
What is DSL Lite?
My local phone company offers regular DSL for 50 bucks a month....thats too expensive and I wont pay that. But as of April 1st, they started offering DSL Lite for 24.95 a month. Between my other ISP costs and the cost of my Callwave, I am paying 15 bucks right now. I have no problem paying an extra 10 bucks for DSL Lite, if I thought it was any good.

Obviously, i'm on dialup and its slower than death on crutches. I dont always have the time to be online so when i am on....faster page loading and downloads would be great! The kids each get an hour of internet a day and like to play at club penguin....but they dont get to do much playing because the pages take so long to load on dialup.

So what is DSL Lite do actually....is there really enough of a difference to make it worth my while?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

17-Apr-2007, 08:14 AM #2
DSL Lite will just be slower. It'll still be much faster than dial. Ask about the specific details of the speeds.

17-Apr-2007, 10:24 AM #3
Hey John, thanks. The info packet they sent me says its up to 768 Kbps down stream and 768 Kbps up stream, whatever that means! I think maybe it means 768 kilobytes per second? Is that fast? I'm not sure what the speed of my dialup is.

As long as I see a noticeable difference then I think it will be worth the extra 10 bucks.
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Apr-2007, 10:25 AM #4
ANYTHING is better than dial up
Computer Specs
Member with 7,214 posts.

17-Apr-2007, 12:37 PM #5
DSL lite is a standard DSL line where they won't allow you to use more bandwidth than that cap. You will have to have all the standard ethernet/wireless setup and will not longer use a "modem" to dial up.

In all your connection is going to be theroetically appx 15 times faster than you are currently if your running at 56k. (Probably more in the realm of 10).

100% in agreement with Johnwill on the anything is better than dialup comment and I'll even go one step further to say you can never have "too much" internet connection speed.

17-Apr-2007, 12:38 PM #6
Candy....LOL.....I agree! I'm just not willing to fork over 50 bucks for the real thing!

17-Apr-2007, 12:39 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpedTechy
100% in agreement with Johnwill on the anything is better than dialup comment and I'll even go one step further to say you can never have "too much" internet connection speed.
That was MY COMMENT

*SMACK*

17-Apr-2007, 12:40 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by valley
Candy....LOL.....I agree! I'm just not willing to fork over 50 bucks for the real thing!

You'll be happier with the LITE, trust me. Just don't let the kids start downloading P2P stuff

17-Apr-2007, 12:41 PM #9
Quote:
DSL lite is a standard DSL line where they won't allow you to use more bandwidth than that cap. You will have to have all the standard ethernet/wireless setup and will not longer use a "modem" to dial up.

In all your connection is going to be theroetically appx 15 times faster than you are currently if your running at 56k. (Probably more in the realm of 10).

thank you for the info. I just wasnt sure if the difference was only slight and not worth the bother or switching or not. Sounds like 15 times faster...or even 10 times will make us all very happy here!

I'm gonna do it!!!!!!!

Thanks all!

17-Apr-2007, 12:45 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcaCandy
You'll be happier with the LITE, trust me. Just don't let the kids start downloading P2P stuff
oh, i know all about that. My nephews computer has been screwed up so many times from that!

Em and Jake are only allowed at Club Penguin and Neopets right now. And they dont even play online games that they heard about from their friends without asking first. Then I go load it for them. I went to one site with a cartoon motorcycle guy who rides along any line you draw....at the bottom of the screen was an ad with a rear shot of a girl in a thong on her knees....real nice for a site that had kid games. I keep a pretty good eye on what they do online.

and no...I wont give you men a link to that game site!
Computer Specs
Member with 7,214 posts.

17-Apr-2007, 09:40 PM #11
Sorry Aca... my mistake I was running to get out of the office and assumed it was Johnwill following up on his post.

As for that thong site... where don't you find these ads these days? Its hard work to find family friendly content on the web.

18-Apr-2007, 03:26 PM #12
Quote:
As for that thong site... where don't you find these ads these days? Its hard work to find family friendly content on the web.
Both Club Penguin and Neopets are kid sites without ads aimed at adults. There's also a faith-based myspace for teens and a separate one for adults that doesnt have those kinds of ads. Theres plenty of websites out there without them. You just have to know where to look.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!