Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Getting knocked off home WiFi Internet

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Apr-2007, 08:13 PM #1
Getting knocked off home WiFi Internet
This one will stump even you gurus I think.

I have 3 laptops connected to a WiFi router. The WiFi router has WPA2 security enabled and DSL. When I connect a laptop to the wire, I don't have an issue. Also, I have a 5Mhz cordless phone (which doesn't conflict with my WiFi router.

In the last several months, each of the laptops will intermittently disconnect with from my WPA2 secured router. When I View Wireless Networks and click Refresh, my router shows up with full signal, while others (5) in the area have 1-2 bars at most. Occasionally, when I reconnect, my laptop will show that it's connected to my router as an unsecured network.

At first, I thought that it was a hacker trying some Man in the Middle stuff. Then again, who would sit around for 3-4 months doing exactly that same thing over and over again throughout the day? I guess it's either interference from another WiFi AP or a bad WiFi Router.

Anyone have an idea what it could be? If anyone suggests turning off security to check and it does turn out to be correct, what is a viable solution? Obviously I'd be negligent not to have security on my AP. Could it be the WiFi Router?

Thanks for the help!
Junior Member with 15 posts.

23-Apr-2007, 09:59 PM #2
Start troubleshooting. Try it without security, and maybe change some settings on the router.

If you can, borrow another router and try that one and see if you get the same issues.
Computer Specs

24-Apr-2007, 08:50 AM #3
I seem to be having similar issues (similar router) to Adrian Clarke

http://forums.techguy.org/networking...onnecting.html

So if WPA2 is the culprit of our intermittent WiFi connection problems, what is the solution?

Has anyone else had problems with WPA2 over WiFi in the last several months?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

24-Apr-2007, 08:52 AM #4
There is no known general issue with WPA2 that I'm aware of.

Did you try no encryption and it all works?
Computer Specs

24-Apr-2007, 09:06 AM #5
In the other post, Adrian seems to have corrected his issue by disabling security. I'll do the same for the next couple of days to check it out.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

24-Apr-2007, 09:19 AM #6
When disabling security works, it's normally a signal strength issue. You can connect with a weaker signal with security disabled, though it sometimes drifts in and out.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!