Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can connect to one wireless network but not another

(!)

Member with 32 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-May-2007, 03:28 PM #1
Can connect to one wireless network but not another
I have an Asus S6F laptop with an Intel 3945ABG wireless adapter. I've been using it without problems for the last few months, connecting to any of the three (!) wireless connections in my house:
- Sky broadband router (NetgearDG834GT)
- BT Broadband home hub
- Buffalo Airstation High Power wireless router.

I now find that I usually can't connect to the Buffalo or Sky routers. When I try to connect it gets stuck at "acquiring network address". Very occasionally I am able to connect to the Sky and Buffalo routers, but only after I have first connected to the BT router.

My wife's laptop has no such problems - connecting to all 3 routers without problems. Her Windows network settings are identical to those on my laptop - acquiring an IP address automatically.

I use either WEP or WPA encryption on all routers, and the keys have not changed since I was successfully using the routers.

I get the above problems using both the Windows wireless connection manager as well as Intel ProSet/Wireless. I've also tried stopping/starting the Wireless Zero Configuration service, to no effect.

The strangest thing is that I can OCCASIONALLY connect to the other two routers. Can anyone suggest how best to further diagnose this problem?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,263 posts.

06-May-2007, 03:45 PM #2
Have no idea how to diagnose this, but suggest the following.

Make sure you have the latest Intel driver and utility from your laptop manufacture's web site. Use the Intel utility and have WZC stopped.

Disable encryption on the router, connect, re-enable encryption, and connect again. Repeat for the other router that is giving problems.
Member with 32 posts.

06-May-2007, 05:05 PM #3
The problem doesn't appear to be with the routers, as my wife's laptop has no problem connecting and re-connecting to them. The problem is just with my own laptop - when I can eventually connect it only lasts until I hibernate or reboot - it then reverts to only being able to connect to the BT router.
Senior Member with 639 posts.

06-May-2007, 05:53 PM #4
If you position yourself few feet away (no more than 3 meters) from Buffalo or Sky routers, do you still have connection problems?
Member with 32 posts.

06-May-2007, 06:19 PM #5
I'm actually less than 3 metres away from the Buffalo router, in the same room! The signal strength is shown a "excellent" (5 bars) for all three routers. They're also all on different channels to prevent interference.

06-May-2007, 06:33 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by itm
I'm actually less than 3 metres away from the Buffalo router, in the same room! The signal strength is shown a "excellent" (5 bars) for all three routers. They're also all on different channels to prevent interference.
So, do you still have the connection problems that you described b4. The problem that you described, did it happen (and it normally happens) when you were in that room 3 meters away? Does it happen when you have excellant siganl? Does your system show any signal quality or signal to noise ratio? If so, how is the siganl qualtity?

Last edited by invalidusername; 06-May-2007 at 06:41 PM..

06-May-2007, 06:37 PM #7
What channels are your routers on?
Member with 32 posts.

07-May-2007, 02:13 PM #8
I managed to connect to the Buffalo router after switching the wireless receiver on/off a couple of times. Then I hibernated and it wouldn't connect again after I resumed.

The Sky router is on channel 6, Buffalo router on channel 8 and BT Home Hub on channel 11. My wife's laptop continues to connect quickly and seamlessly between all three (with the same Windows TCP/IP settings, using the Windows wireless manager). My own laptop is continuing to refuse to connect to the Buffalo router, using either the Windows or Intel wireless managers. It can connect to the Sky and BT routers.

Both laptops are in the same room, with excellent signal quality from all three routers (which are all within 3-5 metres of the laptops).

Last edited by itm; 07-May-2007 at 02:24 PM..

07-May-2007, 02:49 PM #9
I would change Buffalo to channel 1 to see what happens (even if it is only for duration of this test).
Member with 32 posts.

14-May-2007, 04:03 PM #10
Have just tried channel 1 and didn't get any change in behaviour - I still needed to connect to the BT router before it would establish a connection with the Buffalo router. I'm wondering if there could be a specific issue with the Intel adapter.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 21 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-May-2007, 04:26 PM #11
I used to have a similar problem when other networks where available in my neighborhood especially 'adhoc' machines , my system would switch to them (obviously
not connecting) "roaming" for what it taught was the best signal (Dlink 524 and Dwl-G510)
could not find a cure ... these maches disappeared from within range and back to normal .

There must be an easy way to prevent the "roaming"

sorry cannot help right now.
Member with 32 posts.

09-Sep-2007, 04:13 AM #12
I have a suspicion that one of the monthly Windows updates may have caused the problem. I regressed my laptop to a previous Windows build and the problem hasn't occurred since.

The reason I tried this is that my wife's laptop started to have the same problem - on the day after her first Windows update. I've now turned off automatic upates on both laptops.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!