Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Can you just plug one switch into another?

(!)

Junior Member with 20 posts.

21-May-2007, 06:07 PM #1
Solved: Can you just plug one switch into another?
Hi,
Sorry for the (probably stupid) question, but I've never actually been sure on this one. I have a Netgear DSL Modem/Router/4-Port Switch. Three PCs are plugged into the switch, one of which is at the end of a 25m cable as its on the other side of the house. I want to plug another device into the network that's going to be in the same room as the far away PC.

Can I just get a switch or hub (would it matter which in this situation?) and plug the cable coming from the existing switch into that, and then run two more cables to the PC and the new device? Or am I going to have to run another very long cable, which wont be easy.

Thanks in advance,
Jack
pinntech pinntech is offline pinntech has a Profile Picture
Senior Member with 893 posts.

Experience: Professional Technician
21-May-2007, 06:45 PM #2
The quick answer is YES. You may plug a switch into a switch. Check the switch for a port labeled UPLINK. Usually the UPLINK port is the HIGHEST port on the switch…. I.e. on a 4-port switch, it would be port 4. On an 8-port switch it would be 8. If the switch doesn’t have an uplink port, stay with the theory of the HIGHEST port anyway.

No, you do not want a HUB. They are slower than switches. That was a basic description of why you don’t want a HUB.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,927 posts.

21-May-2007, 07:52 PM #3
If there is no uplink port on the second switch, you need to use a cross-over cable unless one of the switches has auto-sensing ports. So, since you already have the long cable, make sure your router has auto-sensing ports or make sure the switch you buy does (or has uplink).

22-May-2007, 03:02 AM #4
Excellent, thanks. So either the switch in the router needs to have auto-sensing ports, or one of the switches needs to have a uplink port (not both), and it doesn't matter which is the one with the uplink?

Last edited by Jak-S; 22-May-2007 at 04:18 AM..

22-May-2007, 03:04 AM #5
This is the description from the switch I currently have:

Quote:
LAN Ports: Four (4) 10/100 Mbps auto-sensing, Auto Uplink™ RJ-45 ports (one Cat 5 UTP cable included)
So it looks like I have both?

Last edited by Jak-S; 22-May-2007 at 04:17 AM..
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

22-May-2007, 07:43 AM #6
You can plug them in with plain CAT5 patch cables.

23-May-2007, 03:13 AM #7
Great, thanks everyone for all your help.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!