Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Adding a IBook to a Wireless network

(!)

mslynn mslynn is offline mslynn has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 238 posts.

Experience: Always a beginner . . . or so it seems
25-May-2007, 11:09 PM #1
Adding a IBook to a Wireless network
Okay, 1st of all I know next to nothing about Apples, but here goes. I have someone with a Linksys WRT54GC router on their network. She would like to be able to hop on with her Apple. It is running Mac OS 9.2.1 and Airport v. 1.3.1. I've not attempted to add an Apple to a network before. I did go into the area where you add networks and found the router. It saw the router, but it kept going back & forth between getting "status update" to "no status update." I'm not at that site, but if anyone has any tips on what I should be looking for/doing, I'd appreciate it. If you need to know something else about the Apple, please be specific on where to find the info as I don't know my way around them much at all. I just hunt & click. Thanks so much.
mslynn mslynn is offline mslynn has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 238 posts.

Experience: Always a beginner . . . or so it seems
26-May-2007, 08:06 AM #2
I take it i'm not the only one who knows next to nothing about Apples?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,451 posts.

26-May-2007, 01:20 PM #3
You're in good company--lots of us know next to nothing about Apples.

Some "standard" advice--try w/o encryption; make sure the router's Dhcp server is enabled and is not using MAC Address filtering; use standard 802.11b or g (not turbo, draft-n, MIMO, 108Mbps, etc.).

Is the Airport looking for a dynamic IP configuration (good) or is it set to a static IP (bad)?

Note: I think that the 'Airport Extreme' adapter supports WPA encryption but the 'Airport' does not.
Senior Member with 639 posts.

26-May-2007, 02:02 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet
lots of us know next to nothing about Apples.
More than likely this is going to (or will need to) change in the future. Apple sale growth for computers have been very significant recenlty (although still not significant at all compare to PC) . However, now it is more likely for the Ipod and the Iphone generations to consider buying apple than anytime before. And it looks like after Apple changed to Intel processor, those Apple adds making fun of Bill Gate are also doing some damage. I predict there will be a lot more questions about Apple in the near future.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!