Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Adding another FiOS hub? Or, frequent "acquiring network adress" problem.

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

27-May-2007, 01:44 AM #1
Solved: Adding another FiOS hub? Or, frequent "acquiring network adress" problem.
Here's the situation. I have Verizon FiOs hooked up to my house through a wireless modem. One computer is connected while the rest are wireless. I have a cable tv input in the room I want to add another modem to so that the computer in the room does not have to use the wireless because of the very frequent "acquiring network address" every few minutes (all computers running XP). Is it possible to buy another Fios modem, hook it up to the cable in the new room, and have a hardwired connection in that room? If this is not possible, what might be the problem with the frequent "acquiring network address" deal? The wireless network has a WEP key. Thanks in advance for the help!
Senior Member with 639 posts.

27-May-2007, 12:23 PM #2
If you have cable modem, you can not connect another modem to the cable and make things work without going thru the cable company.

The problem that you have coud be due to RF interferecne or setting in your computer. If it is RF interferrcem, then changing lokcation of router or PC may help, or you can use directional gain antenna.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

{credit johnw}
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

27-May-2007, 12:25 PM #3
You can't add another modem, that's not how FiOS works. The FiOS ONT (Optical Network Terminal) creates a single dymanic IP Ethernet connection to the Verizon network. The router splits it out into multiple connections.

Let's start with the basics, does the wired connection have any problems? If not, I suspect that what you have is simply a wireless issue, not any problem with the FiOS service. To connect another wired computer, you just need to run a CAT5 cable from the router to the machine in question.

My only issue with FiOS since I got it was a tree falling on the fiber cable up the street and knocking us out for almost a day. Verizon is also all over FiOS problems, since this is their flagship product right now, and they're really trying to achieve a critical mass of installations.

27-May-2007, 04:19 PM #4
The wired connection does not have any problems, and thanks for replying guys! Heres the information requested.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : owner-f5a27f63a
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100
ni PCI Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-23-6E-C7-5C
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, May 27, 2007 1:15:09 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, May 28, 2007 1:15:09 PM
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,731 posts.

27-May-2007, 07:03 PM #5
In addition to considering the interference issues invalidusername raised another potential problem is having two wireless utilities running. If you have Windows XP what is the Service Pack level and are you using Intel's utility or XP's Wireless Zero Configuration? And are you sure the other one is not running?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

27-May-2007, 07:09 PM #6
Since the wired connection doesn't have any problem, that eliminates the ISP as a cause of the issue. See the other posts for possibilities for your wireless woes, I don't have anything to add until you chase some of those suggestions down.

27-May-2007, 08:43 PM #7
TerryNet solved it for the moment it seems. Disabling the Wireless zero config has stopped the frequent hang ups, thanks!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,731 posts.

27-May-2007, 09:12 PM #8
Glad you found it so quickly. You can mark this 'solved' using the Thread Tools at the upper right.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!