Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

COM & LPT isnt in device manager?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Jun-2007, 04:19 PM #1
Angry COM & LPT isnt in device manager?
My laptop just recently stopped connecting to the internet, giving me an error message of:
"Error 644: The modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or is not configured properly."

Now this comes after just trying to connect after normal routine, I haven't added or installed anything special, or tried to alter anything.

So after playing around with settings trying to figure this out.. I find that all of my COM ports are in use.. by nothing. I cant find a single program using it, even in safe mode.
I go into the device manager to try and disable or reinstall the COM & LPT ports but... its not there.
Its not in my device manager at all.

I'll just go through some of the stuff i've done to save time..
I've already reinstalled the modem, disabled it, switched to other COM ports (but all are in use?), restarted my computer many many times, unplugged my phone line (to try and get a "no dial tone" error instead, no luck), updated the drivers, now I have brand new drivers that give me the same error!

I would just completely reinstall windows, but I have so much important stuff that I have and need to keep.. I might as well just take my anger out and smash my laptop to bits if I have to get rid of any of my data.

Its an HP Pavilion dv5000, running Windows XP.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

02-Jun-2007, 04:25 PM #2
See this article for freeing up reserved COM ports: http://www.help.perle.com/index.asp?a=4&q=32

Although the title says Windows 2000, it works for XP too. Uninstall your modem software and the modem too. Free up all ports that you know are not in use (probably COM1 and COM2). Then re-try your modem installation procedure.
Computer Specs

02-Jun-2007, 04:27 PM #3
Um, yeah thats great and all.

But I cant see the COM ports.. Didja read?

So, any other takers?

Last edited by AoriTsukai; 02-Jun-2007 at 09:24 PM..
Computer Specs

02-Jun-2007, 09:58 PM #4
I don't know. I suspect a PBCAK error here.
Computer Specs

02-Jun-2007, 10:07 PM #5

Last edited by AoriTsukai; 02-Jun-2007 at 10:18 PM..
Computer Specs

02-Jun-2007, 11:21 PM #6
Do the COM ports show up if you go to Device Manager and click View > Show hidden devices?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

03-Jun-2007, 12:09 PM #7
Did you check in the laptop BIOS configuration to see if the devices are disabled there?
Computer Specs

03-Jun-2007, 07:11 PM #8
Frank: I get non plug-n-play devices to show up, but still no COM port.

JohnWill: I'm not sure where to look in the BIOS... I see boot order and Hard Disk Self Test, and the other basic configuration stuff like time and whatnot.

Edit: Also if it helps any, its both the COM and LPT ports missing, but it being a laptop, im not too worried about printers.

Last edited by AoriTsukai; 03-Jun-2007 at 08:34 PM..
Computer Specs

05-Jun-2007, 04:06 AM #9
Seems like this thread fell off into oblivion.
Computer Specs

05-Jun-2007, 07:39 AM #10
A google search indicates this is a fairly common problem. Here is one solution offered at another forum (annoyances.org):
Quote:
No, nothing to do with Plug and Play. Need to change permission settings in the registry. Go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum. Add full permissions to Everyone. Click on Advanced button. Put a tick in both options at the bottom (Inherit from parent the permission entries... and Replace permission entries on all child or objects...). Exit and reboot - Device Manager no longer empty.
and
Quote:
Thats right.... Go to RUN type Regedt32 Then go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum With the ENUM KEY HIGHLIGHTED Click SECURITY menu that appears in the toolbar, then PERMISSIONS. (In XP you right click the key and choose permissions) You may have to ADD the group for the profile that can't see the device manager/printers/network contents. Give this group READ ONLY permission and then give SYSTEM full control. In some instances, you will need to go to ADVANCED and check reset permissions on all child objects. Click yes in the warning window and reboot.
Computer Specs

05-Jun-2007, 05:39 PM #11
Yeah I really have no idea what that just did to my laptop, but COM & LPT still arent there.
What in the world did that do anyway?
Computer Specs

08-Jun-2007, 03:25 AM #12
Ugh, nothing is working.. Is there any way I can just reset the COM ports without having to see them in the device manager?
Computer Specs

08-Jun-2007, 08:35 AM #13
If they don't appear in Device Manager, they're not detected by Windows as existing. There's nothing you can do to hardware that doesn't appear to exist.
Computer Specs

08-Jun-2007, 06:22 PM #14
But I cant connect to the internet because its "In use"

So my computer is wasting its time using something that doesnt exist, preventing me from using it... even though it doesnt exist.
Computer Specs

08-Jun-2007, 08:21 PM #15
What's in use?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!