Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

block internet on one computer on the network

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Jun-2007, 07:16 AM #1
Question block internet on one computer on the network
Hi all,
have just set up my daughters pc on the home network, what i need help with is this, i need to block all access at the computers end to the internet through the router, as it has it's own internet connection at this end, i still want to be able to browse for files on this computer as well, i know i am missing something simple on this computer but its baffling me!
Cheers in anticipation of your reply!
Computer Specs
Member with 7,213 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Jun-2007, 09:22 AM #2
Change the default gateway of the computer. Then you will still be able to do things on the network but that computer won't get out to the internet.
pinntech pinntech is offline pinntech has a Profile Picture
Senior Member with 893 posts.

Experience: Professional Technician
03-Jun-2007, 10:17 AM #3
That is one way of doing it. Another way of doing it would be to check your router and see if you can “BLOCK” her PC’s internet access. Most of the routers now days have that ability. Some even allow you to block by IP according to a schedule too.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Jun-2007, 11:25 AM #4
how do i go about changing the default gateway on the pc in question?
Cheers all!
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

03-Jun-2007, 11:29 AM #5
Control Panel, Network Connection, select the properties of the Local Area Connection, and then Properties of TCP/IP. You'll have to configure the IP address and subnet mask, and leave the Default Gateway and DNS server addresses blank.
pinntech pinntech is offline pinntech has a Profile Picture
Senior Member with 893 posts.

Experience: Professional Technician
03-Jun-2007, 09:00 PM #6
I’m not sure how old your daughter is, but never under estimate the abilities of children. If she has access rights to the network properties, she can simply reset everything to “automatically obtain” and she is back on the net!

What router do you have? If you want a block that you solely have control over it is best to block her at the router if it has that ability!
Member with 2,060 posts.

04-Jun-2007, 09:05 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinntech
I’m not sure how old your daughter is, but never under estimate the abilities of children. If she has access rights to the network properties, she can simply reset everything to “automatically obtain” and she is back on the net!

What router do you have? If you want a block that you solely have control over it is best to block her at the router if it has that ability!
Boy, that's a fact. I worked in a high school computer lab and those kids managed to find a backdoor to accessing the c drives that our security software Fortress supposedly made inaccessible (won't say how here).
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

04-Jun-2007, 09:25 AM #8
The router is clearly the place to do this blocking, and routers with parental control are pretty inexpensive. Keeping the router in an inaccessible place will help too.
Trusted Advisor with 19,633 posts.

04-Jun-2007, 11:56 AM #9
If you are running windows Vista, it has Parental Controls builtin. I haven't seen any hacks out there yet to bypass it. I am sure someone has or will sooner or later.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!