Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Test VPN speed

(!)

Member with 281 posts.

13-Jun-2007, 04:10 AM #1
Test VPN speed
Is there a way that I can easily test the upload speed of my VPN link in order to monitor it.

More and more people are connecting from other offices and I want to try and test the speed.

On my web link I tend to use speedtest, but obviously not so straight forward I guess on the VPN one.

Thanks
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 894 posts.

Experience: 31337
13-Jun-2007, 10:37 PM #2
Is this PPTP, IPSEC...?
What kind of device is terminating VPN?
What type of potential bandwidth are we talking?

THe quick and dirty answer is IPERF. http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/

Download IPERF (linux src, etc or Windows binaries)

Select a "server" this is something on one side of VPN
iperf -s

Select a "client" this can be your system or something on remote side.
iperf -c x.x.x.x

Quick and dirty that'll test with TCP. Read the manual an you can select other options.

Iperf has the ability to push more than 99% of the users of this board can send/receive. So it will give you a decent benchmark.
Member with 3,477 posts.

14-Jun-2007, 07:38 AM #3
The speed is going to vary deoending on which ISP the clients are using and I think you can figure in about 20% overhead for the connection itself.
Member with 281 posts.

18-Jun-2007, 08:21 AM #4
Sorry just got iperf down, but can't get it to work.

I've tried iperf -s (name of server on other end of vpn) and with -c (my ip address) but I get network is down error messages
Member with 22,468 posts.

18-Jun-2007, 09:31 AM #5
If that doesn't work, and if just a rough estimate is good enough, try simply doing something like copying a 1 meg file and time it.
Computer Specs

19-Jun-2007, 11:28 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarta
Sorry just got iperf down, but can't get it to work.

I've tried iperf -s (name of server on other end of vpn) and with -c (my ip address) but I get network is down error messages

Make sure your VPN is up first.

http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/
http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf...ocs_1.7.0.html

Server side:
$ iperf -s -V

Client:
$ iperf -c <server address> -I <<< The server IP should be THE PRIVATE IP INSIDE THE VPN.

This will test base TCP performance inside the tunnel.

Read through the second link. Forcing to UDP mode will allow you to brute force your connection and see what you can possibly shovel through it.
Member with 281 posts.

20-Jun-2007, 07:28 AM #7
okay just ran that, going from our main office as the client ad the server in the office that has the problem, I got 144KBytes transferred at 102Kbits/sec bandwidth. How does that sound?
Computer Specs

20-Jun-2007, 02:31 PM #8
Ok..... Well. You never mentioned a problem in original post.

102kbits/sec is about ISDN speed.

What size pipe?
What's the latency?

What's the issue?
Member with 281 posts.

21-Jun-2007, 03:57 AM #9
Well yes sorry, I'm getting users complaining of slow speeds. Mentioned it before, but here is the brief. Head office in Exeter, remote office in Yeovil and Plymouth. Both remote offices run software off one of our Exeter ones via TS. I ran this test yesterday with Yeovil as the iperf server and my laptop here in Exeter as the client and got those speeds. This morning I got 360 transferred at 289 bandwidth. Reversed I got 216 and 155.

The broadband connection in Yeovil is running between 3-4mb and 3mb in Exeter. Online status's from the router page are 832000 Up and 2432000 Down in Exeter and 448000 Up and 4544000 Down in Yeovil.

Problem is that extra users have been added, which I'm assuming therefore has diminished the connection and I'm about to add a 3rd site into the equation.

We've had various people in with the options of Citrix, and bonding extra lines together in our Exeter office through a Wan box before going into our ISA box. and staying with TS. At the moment the VPN is going straight into our switch. Again I'm assuming that the issue is on our Exeter upload speed due to volume of people connecting in?

On a side not, something which I think has nothing to do with those speeds, our web link in Exeter slows down considerably over the course of the day. I can get download speeds of 300k in the morning, but 30k in the afternoon. Web browsing should be down to a minimum courtesy of the ISA box, but then someone must be doing something.

Sorry for the long post, just really hope you guys can help, constantly got the manager in Yeovil shouting because of the bad connection, but no-one can seem to pinpoint the problem and come up with a sensible solution.

Thanks
Computer Specs

23-Jun-2007, 11:20 AM #10
Ok. Bandwidth really isn't the MAJOR concern at this point, but is one of them.

1] By TS I assume you mean Windows TS?
2] How many users total connect to Exeter?
3] How many users in Exeter?
4] Are remote offices VPN via PPTP/IPSEC, or just TCP 3389 over Internet?
5] Can you get protocol report in ISA (I'm not an ISA guy... We did some extensive testing for customers and deemed it not suitable for HA)
6] What is your bandwidth at each location? I see you posted up/down, but I'm thinking you mean that as current throughput.

Just to summarize, what it sounds like is that you really need QOS. The issue with TS/Citrix traffic is that it's really latent sensitive. If you have normally bursty traffic it can create severe jitter which translates to poor screenpaint performance for your users. Of course, bandwidth is also a concern but there are some other factors that we want to consider. VPN is one of them. TS/Citrix/VOIP packets are all fairly fixed length SMALL payload packets. Many crypto platforms base their performance on encrypting "N" packets per second through a processor. "N" is almost always based on 1500 byte packets so one of the possibilities is that you're simply stomping what's providing your VPN. (Assuming that you're doing this via VPN)

Last but not least. If you can't get stats from your ISA box, let's look at your routers. Maybe we can gather some base stats to figure out what that majority of your traffic is.
Member with 281 posts.

25-Jun-2007, 03:44 AM #11
Thanks O111111O, I appreciate your help. I'll try and answer these questions as best as I can.

1] Yep Windows Terminal Services
2] I have about 6 connecting from Yeovil at any one time and about 3 from Plymouth
3] Probably got about about 20 people connected to that server in Exeter at any one time
4] The connection type on the router in Yeovil is showing as PPTP/MPPE
5] Unsure about the protocol report in ISA. I have some connectivity verfiers setup to the other offices. They are currently sat at 125 and 109msecs although I had an alert to say that it had gone over the threshold of 500msec and lost connection at 01:20 Friday morning, when no-one would of been working.
6] Sorry unsure how to measure the bandwidth. Again looking at the router in Yeovil (all VPN routers are Draytek Vigor 2600's, the diagnostic tools I can run are as follows

ISDN/PPPoE/PPPoA Diagnostics
Triggered dial out packet header
View routing table
View ARP cache
View DHCP assigned IP addresses
View NAT Port Redirection Running Table
View NAT Active Sessions Table
ADSL Spectrum Analysis

I have spoken to our ISP as my general web speed in our Exeter office (which is a seperate line to the VPN) is suffering from download speeds. In the morning I can get 300k but by mid morning that drops to 30k, with no unusual bandwidth being used through ISA. They have mentioned they are suffering from slow ADSL speeds at the moment and their engineers are working on it. They told me all of our lines are affected, although the Yeovil one was synching at 1.5mb and seemed ok, they think some of the problem could be them.

Obviously I can't wait for them as they can't give me a date of when they will fix it, but I need to try and find some solution, before it cripples us.

Thanks again
Computer Specs

25-Jun-2007, 09:17 PM #12
SDN/PPPoE/PPPoA Diagnostics (probably sub menus)
View NAT Active Sessions Table
ADSL Spectrum Analysis

Do those. Post results of PPPoE/oA diags, and ADSL spec.

Don't need to post NAT active sessions, just look for a HUGE amount of NAT entries.

Honestly, ADSL... If this is mission critical for you start looking at alternate means. You want a couple of bonded E1's for Exeter at a minimum.
Member with 281 posts.

26-Jun-2007, 04:05 AM #13
Just took the following screenshots for you.

Exeter

Yeovil

There were more NAT sessions but they cleared just as I took the screenshot.

The PPP diagnostics don't show anything other than the external IP address and that the ISDN link is down

These were taken at 08:45 when it should been quiet
Computer Specs

27-Jun-2007, 01:02 AM #14
Ok. Well, there's a baseline.

You need to do that when it's busy / you have issues.
Member with 281 posts.

27-Jun-2007, 08:46 AM #15
Ok, here are the two ADSL Spectrum results taken at lunchtime. The NAT sessions were blank

Exeter

Yeovil
Email This Email  Print This Print  Bookmark This Bookmark  Tweet This Send to Facebook Send to MySpace Send to StumbleUpon Digg This | More Services More
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!