Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Using LAN to transfer files

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

03-Jul-2007, 09:00 PM #1
Using LAN to transfer files
Hey guys and ladies, I'm new to this forum. While I know the subject has been overly discussed, most of the suggestions I've seen do not match my needs or simply do not work for me.

I have my little LAN home( 3 computer 1 xbox) and I need to transfer some files from one of those computers to another.

Computer A is the old computer working on XPSP2 that's loaded with work I have to move and Computer B is the new Vista comp I got.

File Sharing doesn't seem to work on computer A. Creating a "network" or "workgroup" on A is also blocked by my lack of 3 1/2 inches card and the fact that computer B has no reader for it.

I would be very thankful of any help granted to help me solve this problem and make the transferring of those 20 or so GB I need moved. They include Game files, Map files, WIPs, Photoshop projects and Medias.
Jscuzza Jscuzza is offline Jscuzza has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 269 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Jul-2007, 09:28 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidreseller
Hey guys and ladies, I'm new to this forum. While I know the subject has been overly discussed, most of the suggestions I've seen do not match my needs or simply do not work for me.

I have my little LAN home( 3 computer 1 xbox) and I need to transfer some files from one of those computers to another.

Computer A is the old computer working on XPSP2 that's loaded with work I have to move and Computer B is the new Vista comp I got.

File Sharing doesn't seem to work on computer A. Creating a "network" or "workgroup" on A is also blocked by my lack of 3 1/2 inches card and the fact that computer B has no reader for it.

I would be very thankful of any help granted to help me solve this problem and make the transferring of those 20 or so GB I need moved. They include Game files, Map files, WIPs, Photoshop projects and Medias.
Well run Network Install Wizard on all 3 PCs and make them all the same workgroup, I.E. KIDSNET. After that go to the folder you want to share, right click it and then select share. By default XP should be on basic file sharing. Then select share this folder, and check off the box allow others on network to change files.

After that go to your network settings, and on the left click show workgroup computers and tell me if all the computers show up in that window. If they do then click on the one where the files that you shared are. After that tell me what happens.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,897 posts.

03-Jul-2007, 09:36 PM #3
What's 3 1/2 inches card" Floppy disk? You talking about creating a Networking Wizard on floppy to run on an older Windows? If so, you don't need it. And you can't use it for Windows 2k pro, XP or Vista.

Getting file sharing working in at least one direction shouldn't be too hard.

If you don't want to network ...

If you're going to toss the old computer either install the old hard drive on the new computer, or get an external USB enclosure for the old drive.

Or get the largest USB flash drive you can reasonably afford (with luck you can find 4 GB for about $40) and transfer files/folders that way.
Computer Specs

03-Jul-2007, 09:54 PM #4
Thanks for your reply. My windows is sadly very hard agains't those networks and won't let anything work unless it's a floppy disk. As for using a USB flash, I don't think it's worth using for the 20GB I need moved and therefore I am looking for a way to either FTP from one comp to another or any other option working through the LAN.
Computer Specs
Member with 269 posts.

03-Jul-2007, 09:59 PM #5
Where is it asking for a floppy disk?? Is it asking for it when you are creating a network??
Computer Specs

03-Jul-2007, 11:24 PM #6
Hmm it gives me options so I can transfer the network config to target computers.
using disk( 3inche 1/2), using windows XP install disk, using Router disk or no thanks I'm fine.
Computer Specs
Member with 269 posts.

03-Jul-2007, 11:30 PM #7
Choose no thanks I am fine. You just need to run the network wizard on all PCs you are putting on the network to share the files.
Computer Specs

04-Jul-2007, 01:10 PM #8
Well huh... when I go to network on Vista all it sees is my "gateway device" while my two XP comps see each other... or did last time I checked.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

04-Jul-2007, 01:39 PM #9
Computer Specs

04-Jul-2007, 04:03 PM #10
I just checked back and my two XP comps see one another. Now I need to make it so my Vista comp sees them and that's where I cannot move on. I don't see anything related in "network" on Vista..
Computer Specs
Member with 269 posts.

04-Jul-2007, 06:06 PM #11
Is your Vista Machine in the same Workgroup as the other computers??

Are you saying you cannot run Network Setup Wizard?
Computer Specs

04-Jul-2007, 07:47 PM #12
I didn't touch anything related to work group and I don't know where the wizard is on Vista. I've found a couple of things that could look like it but that give no result.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,897 posts.

04-Jul-2007, 07:53 PM #13
"I didn't touch anything related to work group ..."

That's probably a problem. Always the innovator Microsoft now in Vista defaults the workgroup to "WORKGROUP" instead of the old, outdated "MSHOME."
Computer Specs

04-Jul-2007, 09:52 PM #14
Oh I see. yeah well my computers were on the "SHARE" work group but I have no idea how to switch Vista's workgroup. help on how would be appreciated
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

05-Jul-2007, 09:25 AM #15
Did you look at the link I provided?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!