Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Routers Dont' Work With DSL Modem

(!)

Member with 94 posts.

04-Jul-2007, 11:19 PM #1
Routers Dont' Work With DSL Modem
I tried a Linksys and a D-Link router to get on the net with my 2 PC's. They didn't work.
Both routers worked with other systems, but when I hooked up to a Bellsouth Westell DSL modem I got nothing with either one. I went to IPconfig, released and renewed, connection is set to obtain IP and DNS automatically. I noticed that when not using the router the IPconfig showed a DNS suffix "launchmodem.com" which doesn't appear when using either router, and straight off the modem both machines do fine. Does this have anything to do with the problem? Thanks for viewing.

Laremac
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 145 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Jul-2007, 11:33 PM #2
Did you try resetting the modem and router? Unplug both for a minute each,then plug the modem in first to set,then the router. It could also be a compatibility issue. My ISP recommends only Linksys, Belkin and Hawking routers that are compatible with their modem. You should check with your ISP on which brand router to use.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 145 posts.

04-Jul-2007, 11:40 PM #3
You can also try www.linksys.com/lela
Free software to help you set up and troubleshoot your router.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is online now cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 45,263 posts.

05-Jul-2007, 12:08 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by laremac
Both routers worked with other systems, but when I hooked up to a Bellsouth Westell DSL modem I got nothing with either one.
Did you configure the WAN sides of the routers to work with the new modem?
Member with 94 posts.

05-Jul-2007, 07:21 AM #5
Chuck, no I didn't configure the WAN side of the router.... don't know how to do that. I did download the Linksys assistance program, and even tho' my router was on the list, it was not detected by the program. I've used routers some in home networks and the wiring is all correct I am sure and pretty sure nothing is wrong with either router. What about the launchmodem.com DNS suffix? That has me curious. Neither PC thru either router will show that in the IPconfig but both do when hooked straight to the modem.

If it will help I can post the IPconfigs for one PC hooked both ways. And I can type either router's IP in the browser and configure it (if I knew what to do).
Member with 94 posts.

05-Jul-2007, 07:32 AM #6
MasterJim, I believe BellSouth wants you to upgrade to something called Home Networking Plus which will allow you to run up to 4 PC's from your DSL modem. They may have done something to this modem so that it won't work with most routers but last year I used both of these routers on a BellSouth DSL modem in another city with no problems. I suspect the router needs to be configured a certain way to deal with it and I don't know how to do that.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is online now cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

05-Jul-2007, 09:50 AM #7
I agree with laremac that just about any broadband router you choose to use will need to be configured on the WAN side to work properly with your modem. You will need to know things like if the modem handles the PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet) user login and authentication to the DSL network or if it expects the connected PC to handle it, DNS addresses, DHCP settings. If you are lucky the problem may be as simple as the routers' WAN setting for your old service not working on the new service and a reset to factory defaults may cure the problem.

If setting the WAN configuration of a router is totally foreign to you and you do not get an answer here, you may want to check out the At&T Southeast (a.k.a. Bell South) forums and FAQs at BroadbandReports.com

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/ilec,bels

I am not at all familiar with the purpose the the Windows DNS suffix and how the launchmodem.com. Maybe a Windows Networking MVP here on TSG can come along and address that issue.

Do you have any kind of connection manager software installed on the PCs that needs to run when you are directly connected to the modem? If so, I have seen some older SBC/AT&T versions that take over your network settings and will just about block trying to to restore the network configurations to use a router of any type to share an Internet connection or the share files and printers between computers on the same network.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

05-Jul-2007, 09:53 AM #8
Can you share the exact model of your modem?
Member with 94 posts.

05-Jul-2007, 11:42 AM #9
The modem is a Westell model B90-210030-04S2 REV A. I am now seeing the launchmodem.com when using the router, don't know why. The only difference I see now in the ipconfig is the default gateway is 192.168.1.1 with the linksys and 192.168.1.254 without the router. I don't know what that has to do with anything.

I don't think there is any connection manager software on this machine. Any tips or suggestions I would be glad to try. Thanks, Laremac
Computer Specs

05-Jul-2007, 12:07 PM #10
Quote:
The only difference I see now in the ipconfig is the default gateway is 192.168.1.1 with the linksys and 192.168.1.254 without the router. I don't know what that has to do with anything.
Sounds like the modem and LAN side of the router may be both trying to use the same 192.168.1.x sub-net. I believe that this is not a valid configuration but will wait for JohnWill's expert opinion.
Member with 94 posts.

05-Jul-2007, 12:15 PM #11
I just remembered that the modem came with a disc that had to be run on the PC it is to be used with. Probably configured something in the PC to allow it to work with the modem, and the routers are not set up right. If anyone knows how to set them, great, if not, thanks for your time and knowledge.
Computer Specs

05-Jul-2007, 01:11 PM #12
Yep, Chuck hit it on the head. Change the base address of the Linksys router to 192.168.2.254 and see if you don't have better luck.

Another point. That "modem" is really a router, since you're seeing a private address behind a NAT layer. You may be happier either configuring the "modem" in bridge mode or using the following configuration to configure the second router as a wireless switch. If you don't do one of these things, you'll have two NAT layers, and any port forwards for applications will be really interesting.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

05-Jul-2007, 01:12 PM #13
Quote:
I just remembered that the modem came with a disc that had to be run on the PC it is to be used with. Probably configured something in the PC to allow it to work with the modem, and the routers are not set up right. If anyone knows how to set them, great, if not, thanks for your time and knowledge.
Unless you're using a USB connection, you do NOT need that disk!
Member with 94 posts.

05-Jul-2007, 09:36 PM #14
OK John, I will study what you wrote and try to do it. Meanwhile I found this by clicking on the Westell modem interface tab in the BellSouth folder.
DSL

Up
Connection

Up
User ID

Myname@bellsouth.net (I changed my real username)
IP Address

IP Gateway

Primary DNS

dns.asm.bellsouth.net
Secondary DNS

dns.msy.bellsouth.net

restart modem disconnect

Modem Info

Modem Name

WireSpeed Dual Connect
Model

B90-210030-04S2
Serial

05B406985016
Software Version

MAC Address

00:0f:db:56:23:79
Warranty Date

August 9, 2005

Local Network

Modem IP Address

Ethernet

connected
USB

I have a book on my D Link router that shows how to confiure it with the browser to use a static IP address... not for the Linksys.... hope I can find that info on the net.... using the browser does not do it.

All very interesting even though I'm sure I will never understand networking!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,994 posts.

05-Jul-2007, 10:03 PM #15
You can probably find the User Guide for the Linksys on their web site. If not, the operation is going to be pretty much the same as for any router. I didn't understand "using the browser does not do it." You should be able to type 192.168.1.1 into your browser and access its login page.

You need to find the Dhcp server's address range for your modem/router to make sure that you don't set a wrong address for the Linksys.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!