Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

FTP "path" clarification

(!)

Member with 165 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Jul-2007, 10:32 PM #1
FTP "path" clarification
Hi All,

I've noticed that in some FTP programs they've got a FTP server name field as well as a path field. I would assume that if put in "ftp://ip_address" it should just display the folder that i have nominated as my ftp root directory. So what goes in the path field?? Does it have to be sub-folder of the nominated folder used for the root directory? If i was to put something in the "path" field such as \\pcname\folder\subfolder, would this take me to a different start directory than that of the one i've nominated as the root directory??

Any help would be great. Thank you.

kind Regards,

Steve
Member with 236 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Jul-2007, 08:26 AM #2
get an FTP program like FileZilla they make it easy for yo to explore all contents of an FTP with ease.
Member with 165 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Jul-2007, 05:58 PM #3
Hi,

Thanks for the reply but i'm still stuck. I'll try to clarify it a little bit more on what i'm trying to resolve.

My scenario is that i've got a multi-function device that is capable of scanning back to an FTP site. I have put in the ip address of the FTP server in the "Server Name" field of the MFD. However there is also a "Path" field below the "Server name" field. So the problem is, i'm a little confused on what can go in this "Path" field. Is this "path" field meant to specifiy a sub-folder of the root directory? or could it mean that i can specify a totally different location to that of the root directory.

Eg. If i nominate c:\inetpub\ftproot as the ftp root directory, i'm thinking that if i was to go "ftp://ip_address" it will display the contents of folder "ftproot".However, if i also put "\\hostname\ftpshared\ftpfolder" in the "Path" field, does this mean that if i was to scan back to the ftp site, it will store the file in "\\hostname\ftpshared\folder" as opposed to the ftp root folder of "c:\inetpub\ftproot"?

Any help would be great. thanks
Member with 236 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Jul-2007, 06:12 PM #4
If the default login folder is c:\inetpub\ftproot then when connecting to it all you need t odo is enter ftp://Ip_address or if you are using a client ip_address and then you can navigate by clicking the desired links etc....
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!