Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Connect to printer via wireless usb hub?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 40 posts.

Experience: Fledgling Technologist
11-Jul-2007, 02:28 PM #1
Connect to printer via wireless usb hub?
Here's the setup: the cable modem is connected to a NetGear RangeMax MIMO wireless router, which is connected to a Belkin wireless USB Hub. I have a USB printer connected to the hub, as well as four wireless laptops, all running XP Pro. I need to set it up so that all four laptops can print wirelessly to the USB printer. I ran the Windows wireless network wizard, but I am lost when it comes to setting up the printer. Can someone explain to me how to do this?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,131 posts.

11-Jul-2007, 02:59 PM #2
The Belkin manual makes it look pretty straightforward. Is the manual inaccurate? What doesn't work? Or haven't you yet reached the RTM stage?
Computer Specs
Member with 40 posts.

14-Jul-2007, 03:10 PM #3
No, I read the manual. On one computer, I use the Add Printer Wizard to create a Standard TCP/IP Port with the IP address of the Belkin hub, 192.168.1.2. However, at the end of the wizard, when I click finish, I receive an error message along the lines of, "Unable to add printer. That print processor does not exist." On another, I can add the printer, but once it is added I cannot print anything to it. What am I overlooking or doing wrong?
Computer Specs

14-Jul-2007, 05:06 PM #4
Maybe I made a bad assumption about the device you have. Is it this one: http://www.belkin.com/support/produc...=F5U301&scid=1 ? It's the only one I found searching for "Belkin wireless USB hub."

If it is that one, maybe I misunderstand how it works. I assumed you'd just install a USB printer normally. When you wanted to use it with the hub you would connect the printer to the hub, the dongle to your computer, and assuming the hub was all registered or whatnot you could then just use the printer as if it were directly connected to your computer.

Sorry if my assumptions have just been wasting your time.
Computer Specs
Member with 40 posts.

14-Jul-2007, 05:31 PM #5
Ah. No, it's actually this one. Calling it a wireless device is actually a bit of a misnomer, because it does have to be hard-wired into the router. Anyways, this device comes with Belkin Control Center software that has to be installed on the machine that will be accessing the devices wirelessly (i.e. printer, hard drive, memory stick). You open the software and it automatically locates plugged in devices, and then you click a button to connect to them. So, through all of this, the Control Center tells me that I'm connected to this printer. However, to actually print anything, I have to manually add the printer with the wizard. This is where I run into the previously stated problems.
Computer Specs

14-Jul-2007, 07:15 PM #6
Your misnomer and my assumption added up to NO communication! But I learned something. I had read about wireless USB but didn't know that somebody was actually selling product.

My interpretation (or should I say guess?) of pages 11 and 12 of that manual is that you should connect the printer to the computer by USB, install it, and then when you try to connect to it through the Control Center there should be no problem--no need to do any Windows add printer or anything. I would expect the Control Center to add the printer to Printers and Faxes when you tell it to connect.

As you can see I have no applicable experience; just trying to help with manual interpretation.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!