Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

unsecure network?

(!)

Member with 251 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Jul-2007, 10:10 PM #1
unsecure network?
A message appeared on the task bar saying that I was connected to my wireless network. In parentheses, it said "unsecured". Why is this? I immediately went to the wireless network screen to check things out, and it still said that my network was security-enabled. So am I safe or not? I recently changed from WEP to WPA, but I'm pretty sure everything was done correctly. I thought that I was making myself a little more secure by making the change, I want to make sure that is so.
Senior Member with 205 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Jul-2007, 10:19 PM #2
WPA is better then WEP, did you configure it correctly? Do you have to put the passcode in when you connect to the wireless router or access point? Also, is there more then one network showing, and you possibly connected to the wrong one?
Member with 251 posts.

14-Jul-2007, 10:30 PM #3
I have a Linksys router, and used their support site as a guide. I triple checked what I was doing when I made the change, it was actually quite easy. I used the same pass code as was for the WEP encryption. I entered when I first connected after making the change, and since then it is not necessary. As for their being another network, that is a good question. Right after I made my first post, I checked my wireless network list. It listed only my network, and that I was connected to it. Checking again a subsequent time, it listed another network, under the name Linksys...with a few numbers following that. It also said that it was an unsecured network. I would never purposely connect to an unsecured network, is it possible that I was connected to that network without my knowledge? Also, is it a possibility that this other network is a remnant of my old WEP network? I don't even know if that's possible, just thought I'd ask.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,412 posts.

14-Jul-2007, 10:35 PM #4
You're connected to another network. Suggest that you find the settings (the exact wording varies) to tell your wireless to only connect to preferred networks or to NOT connect to "Any" network.

14-Jul-2007, 10:39 PM #5
Yup, WPA isn't hard to configure at all. It is possible that you accidentally connected to the unsecured network. If you reset the wireless, there won't be a "residule" network, as there isn't one to show, you've changed it, and if the other one was WEP, then it wasn't unsecurred...more likely someone near you has a strong signal with an unsecured, unchanged (default setting) wireless. Just for fun, I would cycle the router, then reboot the comptuer, and see what happens...I might even change the passcode for the WAP, but not until I first cycled the router, and rebooted.

Or, as Terry said...hehe, you can set your preferred networks.
Member with 251 posts.

14-Jul-2007, 10:52 PM #6
The only networks that are listed in my preferred networks are mine and ahem.. best buy network. (Yes I had a geek squad guy set up the original network. From what I've read on here, those guys aren't too respected here. Now knowing that he didn't set me up with the best available security for my network, I agree.) So how can my computer connect to a network that isn't even on my list without my knowledge?

15-Jul-2007, 12:33 AM #7
I would tell it not to connect to anything, then connect only to yours manually, and see what happens.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

15-Jul-2007, 11:15 AM #8
Set the option to only connect to preferred networks.

15-Jul-2007, 09:13 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlogan1981
The only networks that are listed in my preferred networks are mine and ahem.. best buy network. (Yes I had a geek squad guy set up the original network. From what I've read on here, those guys aren't too respected here. Now knowing that he didn't set me up with the best available security for my network, I agree.) So how can my computer connect to a network that isn't even on my list without my knowledge?
He had it set to preferred networks, and it wasn't working, that is why I suggested to manually connect to only his network...
Member with 251 posts.

20-Jul-2007, 08:35 PM #10
Related to this original question. I just got one of those "cannot display webpage" screens while trying to switch web pages. I put my mouse pointer over my wireless icon to see what the status there was (I seem to get disconnected from my network at least twice a day, is this normal?). When I put the pointer over it, it showed I was connected, but the name in parantheses said "access point" instead of the name of my network. Moments later, I got the red "X" over the wireless icon, showing I was disconnected. What happened here?
Computer Specs

21-Jul-2007, 10:10 AM #11
Is this solved?
Member with 251 posts.

21-Jul-2007, 04:15 PM #12
I thought it was, but I guess not. I don't know how to make it unslolved.
Computer Specs

27-Jul-2007, 08:32 AM #13
What is the current issue?
Member with 251 posts.

27-Jul-2007, 12:14 PM #14
Basically the same as my post that started this thread. Last night, I had left my computer running to go do something else for a few minutes. When I returned and got the screen saver off the screen, a balloon on the task bar appeared saying the same as before, Wireless Network Now Connected (unsecured). So I click on my wireless icon, and for some reason it is now saying that I am in fact connected to MY network, and it is secured. But listed in the available networks is one that is unsecured, along with my WPA secured network. I am a little suspicious now for I am connected to the internet. Is there a way to have it so that the only network I connect to is mine and that's it? I see options for preferred networks and such, but I am not seeing anything to connect to just one network and that's it. If mine was unavailable for some reason, I wouldn't want to connect to anything else. Also, could this have anything to do with the firmware update for my router I did recently, or the change from WEP to WPA encryption, which I also did around the same time?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,412 posts.

27-Jul-2007, 01:01 PM #15
"I see options for preferred networks and such,"

What wireless utility are you using? I'm guessing Windows' WZC, but it would be good for us to know exactly which. Then somebody who uses that utility should be able to help.

Exactly what are those options having to do with preferred networks or any networks, etc.? Several of us have said what to do in general, but maybe your utility will not cooperate.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!