Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Vista and XP network problems

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Aug-2007, 04:29 PM #1
Solved: Vista and XP network problems
Hi

I've browsed this forum (and other forums) for solutions to my problem, but haven't found it yet. So I found it best to just ask I'm new btw.

I have an existing network between to desktops, both xp, with no problems at all. Recently I got a new laptop with Vista buisness pre-installed. It can successfully connect to the internet, but it can't communicate with the xp-machines.

At first the vista computer couldn't see the xp computers at all, so I installed that patch from microsoft. Now the vista computer can "see" the xp computers (and vice versa), but cannot share files with them. I tried to ping them; didn't work. The program says it can't find them.

It's not a firewall problem, since I've tried to disable the firewalls on all the computers.

I've played around with the vista network settings, so everything should be right; The workgroup name is the same, and the network type is set to private. sharing of files is set to on.

help is very much appreciated!
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

20-Aug-2007, 07:22 PM #2
Actually, failure to ping is almost always a firewall issue, so I think you may be too hasty in stating that.

21-Aug-2007, 11:14 AM #3
First of all: Thanks for helping me

Anyway, I tried again. I turned off all the firewalls, and tried to ping again.
This is just wierd: The XP computer can successfully ping each other, but not the vista computer. The vista computer says it pings every adress in the router range successfully (192.168.2.-), even if their not assigned to a computer...
Computer Specs

21-Aug-2007, 03:10 PM #4
You still have a firewall issue on the Vista computer. I have no idea how the Vista computer is getting responses to phantom computers. Can we see a screen shot of that?

21-Aug-2007, 05:04 PM #5
Yes. I can fix that tomorrow.
oh and another thing, these fantom computers all have 0 ms response time.

The laptop with vista is from HP, do you think some of the pre-installed software from them have anything to do with it? It included some kind of security program, but I couldn't see to find a firewall there.

And last but not least, the laptop came with norton, but I uninstalled it because I'm not a fan of Norton, and because I didn't want to pay for the use of the program for more than 60 days. Do you think something remains from the uninstalled Norton? (I uninstalled it using the add or remove programs thing in windows)
Computer Specs

21-Aug-2007, 06:56 PM #6
I'd go to the Symantec site and download the Norton Removal Tool: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039

Run this to clean up any leftover Norton's stuff.

Let's also do a stack repair, just to be sure.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows Vista.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

22-Aug-2007, 06:33 AM #7
OK, I'll do that ASAP.

I started the laptop again this morning, and now it was unable to ping phantom computers, but I was able to ping the xp-computers! XP-computers can still not ping Vista computer, so then I guess there's something on the Vista machine that's preventing the access from other computers.
Computer Specs

22-Aug-2007, 08:24 AM #8
That would be a firewall of some kind.

22-Aug-2007, 11:28 AM #9
excactly

Now I've done what you said, but problem isn't solved. I still can't ping the vista machine, and I don't have a firewall running! I'm really stuck...
Computer Specs

22-Aug-2007, 04:49 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathiasH
... I don't have a firewall running! I'm really stuck...
Wrong, you do have some firewall running, we just haven't identified it.

23-Aug-2007, 03:47 PM #11
Ok:

I have Comodo firewall beta, wich I installed myself, and I have the windows firewall. Both are disabled. Does windows vista have any other program that might act as a firewall?

23-Aug-2007, 04:33 PM #12
Just as I wrote that message, a light went up for me. I tryed DELETING Comodo, instead of just disabling it, and guess what; The network works like a dream!

The risk of trying beta software I guess :P

Anyway, thanks for all the help, John! It's fantastic that professionals (MVP that is) like yourself use of your time to help amateurs like me
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

06-Oct-2007, 10:29 AM #13
Xp-Vista Plat forms Network Trouble
Hi All
I am experiencing very similar problem as this person has been experiencing. I am not very familiar with win Vista, I have some knowledge with XP.

The only difference with me is, I did not install any firewall the only firewall I could identify is the Windows firewall. I have been trying all the possible solutions as this other guy did, but no hope. I have set the network on Vista to be private, disables the firewall, I did everything but aaaahh!! If I command it (the Vista Machine) to show entire network, it show all the connected PCs but once I right any of them except itself not drop down list of options comes out!! What is this hell withVISTA??

Please let me know if there is any other solution to this problem, my boss want to access files on our PCs he can't!

I would Appreciate any help.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: easily confused
06-Oct-2007, 11:07 AM #14
Need help with Comcast wireless laptop configuration
Hi all, I'm easily confused with the computer lingo so I appreciate step-by-step responses if you can help.

1) At my residence I have a PC (Windows 2000) hooked up with a blue USB cable to a Comcast router for my internet connection. Works fine.
2) I also have a laptop that I use around the house which works wirelessly; it doesn't need to be plugged in. Works fine.
3) Now I just got a second laptop (an old Dell Latitude LS that my bro refurbished, has Windows 98) and it will only connect to the internet if the desktop is connected or if I plug it in with another USB blue cable, it doesn't seem to connect on its own. It has a D-Link Airplug G something stuck into it's side with one green light that blinks steadily (DWL-G630).

So I'd like to see if anyone can tell me why this might be happening and a way to repair it in simple language. Or should I just call Comcast? Thanks much.

WWF
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!