Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Dell Laptop Internet connection problems

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: can follow instructions
26-Aug-2007, 02:23 PM #1
Dell Laptop Internet connection problems
I have a Dell XPS 1210 laptop purchased in July for my daughter for college. Since she started to use it, there has been intermittent internet access problems. The computer has Windows Vista installed and I have a Linksys wireless network at home. At her college, there is wireless connectivity as well.
I have been on the phone Dell tech support for hours with no resolution. Yesterday they reinstalled all of the main system drivers, thinking that there was a corrupt file.
Again the connectivity is spotty to non-existent. I had heard that Dell and Microsoft both try to control the connection to the internet, and that some sort of conflict may be the root of the problem. Does anyone have an idea as to what the problem may be?
Junior Member with 14 posts.

26-Aug-2007, 03:13 PM #2
It can be possible that linksys router is causing the Problem. Do you have any other wireless computer connected with same network ?
Computer Specs

26-Aug-2007, 03:37 PM #3
Yes, the computer I currently am on is on the Liksys router...............
Account Disabled with 5,809 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Aug-2007, 03:37 PM #4
vista has had problems with internet.

i had a linksys wired bfs41 and now the 54g wireless router and have never had any problems unless there were some router setup issues.
Junior Member with 16 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Aug-2007, 03:38 PM #5
I've had a problem with Dell connectivity (see this thread) It may not be the same issue but the fix might work for you too.

Try disabling Dell Network Assistant and let Windows manage the connection. Curious to know if it works.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

26-Aug-2007, 03:47 PM #6
Does the computer connect fine at college?
Do other computers connect without a problem to your home wireless network?
Computer Specs

27-Aug-2007, 06:00 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWD
I've had a problem with Dell connectivity (see this thread) It may not be the same issue but the fix might work for you too.

Try disabling Dell Network Assistant and let Windows manage the connection. Curious to know if it works.
Can you tell me ho to quickly do this?

Thanks!!
Junior Member with 16 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Aug-2007, 08:06 PM #8
It would help to know the answers to the questions by DoubleHelix above.

Anyway, open the Dell Network Assistant, click the Settings button, then UNclick "Start Dell Network Assistant when Windows starts". Exit the DNA.

Click on Start > Control Panel > Network Connections. Right-click on Wireless Internet Connection, then click View Available Wireless Networks. Choose the one you'd like to connect to and click the Connect button on the bottom right.

Hope this helps.
Computer Specs

27-Aug-2007, 11:15 PM #9
Actually, I have made arrangements fo Dell to take back the computer. It was not easy. This laptop never worked properly with my wireless router at home or at my daughter's dorm. I am usinga home-brew desk top that has no problems. Someone told me about the Dell wireless network manager and conflicts with windows vista. I spent >7 hours yesterday with the tech support guys at Dell with no success.
I bought a Toshiba laptop for my daughter from Walmart ( of all places) and it is working fantastic for her since yesterday. Literally turned it on and it worked.

Thanks for your help. This is the first and certainly not the last time I will visit the website for help.

Thanks Again,

Shermerst
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!