Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Obtaining IP address automatically.

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Sep-2007, 05:05 AM #1
Wink Obtaining IP address automatically.
Greetings!,
I have found many of your forum posts very handy and I was wondering if you could give me any advice on a “easy button” fix for my brother-in-law’s Laptop.

He is a trucker and has subscriptions to a few different wireless services at truck stops, unfortunately some of them, when he connects, run a script or something that set specific IP address and DNS for him. When he goes to the next truck stop, it won’t always connect to the new place’s network until he resets his connection to “obtain IP automatically”.

I was wondering if there was perhaps a way to write a command line shortcut to reset the TCP/IP v4 back to Auto Obtain, that way he can just click an icon instead of having to open the properties. (He isn’t the most computer savvy person and I have had to talk him through it a few times now.)

I figured that way next time he is home I can just set it up for him to save us both a huge headache.

Thanks alot in advance for any ideas!
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

05-Sep-2007, 06:32 AM #2
Paste the two lines below into Notepad and save a file on his desktop as "set_dhcp.bat". It creates a batch file that when run, will cause the PC to be set to automatically obtain an IP.

Code:
netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection" source=dhcp
netsh interface ip set dns name="Local Area Connection" source=dhcp
Note: The connection name in your file must match the name displayed for it in his Network Connections window.

Last edited by Frank4d; 05-Sep-2007 at 06:43 AM..
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Sep-2007, 08:13 AM #3
Thank you VERY much!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!