Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Limited Connectivity on HP with Vista

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
09-Sep-2007, 09:28 AM #1
Limited Connectivity on HP with Vista
PLEASE HELP...I'M GOING NUTS! I found this site because I was searching on "Limited Connectivity" as I am having problems connecting to the internet from my HP Wireless dv6000 computer with Vista Operating System. The troubleshooting on my computer rarely works to solve the problem and sometimes I can get on the internet but most of the time I cannot. I can usually get on if I unplug my router and do some troublshooting. I would really like not to have to do that every time I want to get on the internet. So far the Best Buy "Geek Squad" and HP Teck Support have been unhelpful. I could really use some help trying to figure this out! Thanks so much in advance!
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

09-Sep-2007, 10:47 AM #2
Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

The name of your ISP and country of residence.
Make/model of the broadband modem. If dial-up, please specify.
Make/model of the router (if any).
Connection type, wired, wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.)
Make/model of network card or wireless adapter.
Make/model of your computer (motherboard if home-built).
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.

Also, please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.
Computer Specs

10-Sep-2007, 03:29 PM #3
The name of your ISP and country of residence. Roadrunner, USA
Make/model of the broadband modem. If dial-up, please specify. Motorola SBV4200 - no dial-up
Make/model of the router (if any). Zone Alarm Z100G
Connection type, wired, wireless. Wireless
If wireless, encryption used, (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.) wPA2
Make/model of network card or wireless adapter. Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLAN
Make/model of your computer (motherboard if home-built). HP Pavilion dv6000
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc. Vista

Also, please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any

When I try to connect to the internet wireless I get an error that says "Page contains errors" and it asks me if I want to troubleshoot...the troubleshooting never works. The only thing that works is if I unplug the router and wait about 5 minutes. When I go into my "Internet Options" under 'connections" it tells me I am connected with limited connectivity. There is no way to change this that I know of. Sometimes (rarely) I can get on the internet with no problem...but that is not the norm.

thanks for your quick response.
Computer Specs

10-Sep-2007, 04:12 PM #4
If you connect some of the time, I'd suggest the first step would be to change the channel on the router. When you search for wireless networks, do you see any others besides yours? What channel are they on if you do?
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Sep-2007, 09:40 AM #5
i got it working!!

I needed to go into the security enabled network. Get the wep key - and put that in the field asking for password/wep key.

i also changed the channel from 11 to 6
Computer Specs

11-Sep-2007, 10:16 AM #6
Great!

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.
Computer Specs

11-Sep-2007, 03:09 PM #7
Well I changed the channel on the router and then I was able to connect...I'm not sure if it worked or if it was a coincidence...but I will surely be back to let you know~

Thanks so much for all your help so far
Computer Specs

11-Sep-2007, 04:49 PM #8
Glad we could help, it sounded like a channel issue. I guess we had a couple of people in this thread, I didn't notice and sort it out, sorry for the confusion.
Computer Specs

12-Sep-2007, 06:16 PM #9
Well unfortunately what seemed to work for a day no longer works. I have changed the channel a couple of times and still have a problem connecting with limited connectivity. Apparently it doesn't matter what channel I am on. The limited connectivity is IPv4 and IPv6 (not sure what that means but maybe it'll help). Thanks again in advance for any help you can provide.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Sep-2007, 04:25 AM #10
limited connectivity is a misnoma...it meas no connection.

Go into your router through the internet....gointo wireless admin. There it will show the wep key. Take that number, open up your laptop, thn open the wireless network and place it in the password line of the wireless network.

see if that works
Computer Specs

13-Sep-2007, 07:02 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilki1000
limited connectivity is a misnoma...it meas no connection.

Go into your router through the internet....gointo wireless admin. There it will show the wep key. Take that number, open up your laptop, thn open the wireless network and place it in the password line of the wireless network.

see if that works
Uhh, since he connects some of the time, I'm sure you can explain why the WEP key manages to change on it's own, right?

Let me make a prediction, this won't help.

I suggest in the future you read the thread you're responding to before suggesting "solutions".
Computer Specs

13-Sep-2007, 07:04 AM #12
Download and install NetStumbler, and do a scan to see what other wireless networks are around you. When you're doing this, you should kill the power to your router so it won't mask any interfering stations.

It may be time to increase the range of the router. Here's some typical solutions.

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a couple of examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!