Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Add a Switch to Fios

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Sep-2007, 09:21 PM #1
Question Add a Switch to Fios
I am running Verizon Fios using the supplied Actiontec router with wifi. I have a need to add a LinkSys Switch to the ActionTec so I can run a single like to another area in my house and then split it off to more then one computer.

When I install the switch and tie the other PCs to the switch I find that I no longer get DHCP info or if I do it comes up once and then it will go away. If I disconnect the switch I connect direct to the same line with a single laptop all works as expected.

I have tried a older 10/100 linksys switch and a new 10/100/1000 linksys switch. I have also tried a cisco switch. None of them work.

Is there a limit with the fios hardway that keeps me from adding a switch to the actiontec? I am thinking of trying a old 10/100 HUB to see if that will work but having troubles finding one.

Does anyone have a solution or experience doing this?

Thanks

JB
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

13-Sep-2007, 09:41 PM #2
JohnWill's procedure for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,228 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Sep-2007, 10:40 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix
JohnWill's procedure for configuring a secondary router as a switch

I read the first post as JB was not trying to connect two routers to each other but a switch to a router.

JB, do you have information on the DHCP Server's IP address range in the Actiontec unit? Some ISPs configure their modem's internal router and DHCP server to only allow one computer to connect at one time (unless you pay extra for home networking). In some cases they take it a step further and lock onto the MAC address of the first computer that connects to it and will not allow a second computer to connect even if the first one is disconnected. Power cycling the modem may then allow a different computer to connect.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

14-Sep-2007, 07:49 AM #4
Actually, unless it's a different router than I got with Verizon FiOS (Actiontec MI424WR), there should be no problem with the default configuration connecting a switch. I have an 8 port gigabit switch connected to mine, and there was no configuration required. I had to actually cut down the DHCP pool in my configuration, it was set for the entire subnet address range.

The only thing that comes to mind here is perhaps you have some electrical compatibility or grounding issue, because I've had a number of switches, computers, and even two different VoIP boxes connected to my Actiontec MI424WR router without any issues. All I ever did was stick the wire into the socket.

14-Sep-2007, 09:19 AM #5
I have tried to get into the configuration by going ti 192.168.1.1 but I dont have the password to access the unit. I have tried password and password1 with no luck. Any other ideas or suggestions on a password?

I have 4 other computers connected to it but even taking the switch to the unit and plugging it directly into the port is still a no go.
Computer Specs

14-Sep-2007, 09:23 AM #6
You can set it to factory defaults.

Here's a complete explanation of the reset process, scroll down to the bottom of the page to read it. Note that I configured mine and didn't run into any issues connecting to the ONT again, but just in case, you might want to print this.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Netw..._22390536.html
Computer Specs

14-Sep-2007, 09:24 AM #7
It's a mystery why the switches don't work, I'm at a loss...
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,228 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Sep-2007, 09:44 AM #8
Is there any kind of a slim chance that a cross-over cable is needed between the switch and router. I would think most equipment these days can auto-sense the connection type, but ....?
Computer Specs

14-Sep-2007, 10:39 AM #9
The MI424WR has auto-MDX ports. Also, I use plain patch cables to connect a variety of equipment to the router, including several flavors of switches.

14-Sep-2007, 11:27 AM #10
Found the problem. It had nothing to do with the switch but it had everything to do with the people pulling my cable. They wired all jacks (rj45) straight thru using pins 1 - 8. Once we put one pair on pins 1 and 2 and another pair on 3 and 6 it started working. It was strange that the straight thru cable from the PC to the router worked fine.

Anyway thank you all for your help!
Computer Specs

14-Sep-2007, 03:58 PM #11
Well, short cables with mis-matched pairs will work, however longer ones will not. Also, even with the shorter ones, you'll get a lot of errors and they'll usually only connect at 10mbit.
Computer Specs

14-Sep-2007, 03:58 PM #12
You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!