Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How do I secure/put a password on my wireless connection?

(!)

Member with 49 posts.

03-Oct-2007, 05:17 PM #1
How do I secure/put a password on my wireless connection?
Right now, I'm basically offering free internet to my whole neighborhood

I have a linksys router hooked up to the modem on my other computer but i need to put a password or something on the signals or whatever I have no idea on the correct terms

So can anybody help me or do I need to give you more info or anything?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

03-Oct-2007, 06:40 PM #2
Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Make/model of the broadband modem.
Make/model of the router (if any).
Connection type, wired, wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.)
Make/model of network card or wireless adapter.
Make/model of your computer (motherboard if home-built).
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.
Member with 49 posts.

03-Oct-2007, 08:40 PM #3
Modem - Moterola Surfboard sb5101
Router - Linksys voIP Voice???
Wireless connection, modem hooked up to router, which sends the signals to my other computer, but anybody can steal my routers signals and I want to Stop That
WEP, WAP, WAP2!!! That's what I want to find out on how to activate (Garage sale router )
I Am a complete idiot when it comes to computers, How do I find out the make/model of my network card

Windows XP Service Pack 2

I Hope this helps, I think a lot of people are using my internet, because sometimes the speed is normal, and sometimes it's extremely slow
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 45,334 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Oct-2007, 09:33 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_l_n
Router - Linksys voIP Voice???
Sounds like you might have some version of the Linksys WRT54G listed here:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=5632749046B06

See if you can identify the exact model number and then see if they have a link to the user manual. That should explain how to log into the router and enable encryption (or turn wireless off if you don't need it).
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,025 posts.

03-Oct-2007, 10:09 PM #5
A garage sale router is not going to support WPA2. If it supports WPA-PSK (sometimes called WPA Personal) use that. Else WEP will keep most people out.

Look in Device Manager under Network Adapters for your wireless card to determine what you have.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

04-Oct-2007, 09:13 AM #6
Try following the guide here for securing your wireless network: http://www.portforward.com/english/r...outerindex.htm
Member with 49 posts.

04-Oct-2007, 05:46 PM #7
ok following this part of the guide

http://www.portforward.com/english/r...G/wireless.htm

The admin admin username password doesn't work for me

Exact model = WRPT54G

Please bare with me my english isn't to to good, and i'm still in elementary school

also which computer should I do this stuff on the one with the linksys hooked up on or the one that recieves the linksys signals??

I don't know if this helps but when I go to network connections and right click on lan/high speed then go to properties then the wireless networks tab under perfered networks it says Linksys (I'm on the computer with the one that recieves the linksys signals.) On linksys properties, it says data encryption and right now it's set at disabled. on the scroll down theres something called "WEP" If I choose WEP the network key and confirm key become typable in, but there are already both filed in. If you click on either choose network key or confirm key, the both passwords will disappear. I can't see what it is it looks like this - *********. There is also a "the key was provided for me automatically" check box. If I choose my own WEP Network key and confirm it, my internet connection disables. and when I connect back and check on back the linksys properties, the WEP is disabled again

i don't know if that helped

Last edited by c_l_n; 04-Oct-2007 at 06:04 PM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,025 posts.

04-Oct-2007, 07:16 PM #8
For configuring a router always use a computer connected by ethernet.

Admin/admin is the default user/password. If you, or somebody in your family, has set something else (which is a good thing) use those. If necessary you can reset the router to factory default settings (hold the reset button for 10 - 20 seconds).

After you enable WPA (or WEP) on the router the next time you try to connect by wireless you will be prompted to provide the passphrase or key.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!