Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop can't connect to WPA2-PSK Network Authentication?

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Oct-2007, 12:29 AM #1
Laptop can't connect to WPA2-PSK Network Authentication?
Heya all. My friend just recently updated his LinkSys router's encryption to WPA2, and can connect just fine with his Laptop, Wii and PSP. However, another friend and myself cannot connect to this new encryption. I've gone into Wireless Connection Properties and clicked on his saved info of his own "Preferred Network" and his Network Authentication is set to WPA2-PSK. When I try to manually input the Network Authentication he's got, I discovered my laptop doesn't offer WPA2 and WPA2-PSK. Anything I can do software wise? Or is this a hardware issue, that my wireless card is too old or something.
Computer Specs
Member with 332 posts.

Experience: Student
24-Oct-2007, 12:45 AM #2
You can go to the manufacturers website and see if they've an upgrade/patch for your card driver.
Member with 3,477 posts.

24-Oct-2007, 01:11 AM #3
If the router cannot support WPA2, you might have to go back to WPA, which is perfectly safe.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

24-Oct-2007, 09:05 AM #4
WPA is very secure, and will do the job fine. The difference is really that WPA2 has hardware assist and offers better performance on the wireless link. With a long and random key, WPA will do the job just fine and be compatible with all your equipment.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,068 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Oct-2007, 09:08 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwills
If the router cannot support WPA2, you might have to go back to WPA, which is perfectly safe.
You can always check for firmware updates for your router too.
Computer Specs

24-Oct-2007, 09:25 AM #6
No reason to check the router's firmware, from the first post, it supports WPA2 just fine. It's the laptop that doesn't seem to support WPA2. This is pretty normal, it requires different hardware to support WPA2, however firmware/driver updates can normally accommodate WPA.
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Oct-2007, 08:05 PM #7
Yeah, it's the laptops that are having the problems, not his router. Also, to check for updates for my wireless card, how would I figure out exactly what I have? Will I have to manually check the hardware myself or is there a way to check without opening my laptop? I can open it, it's no problem, but before I do I just wanted to check.
Computer Specs

29-Oct-2007, 07:52 AM #8
You go to the laptop manufacturer's web site and download the latest driver for your laptop's wireless adapter. Normally the release notes will tell you what has changed.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!