Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Is is possible to get wireless internet in old computer

(!)

Junior Member with 23 posts.

24-Oct-2007, 10:35 AM #1
Question Is is possible to get wireless internet in old computer
I have two desktops that I want to connect to the internet via wireless. I can install a desktop wireless card in the PCI slot on the old computer, but is only a Pentium 166 MHz Sony Vaio computer. It's old. Is this computer capable to accept the wireless card and will it be able to access the internet this way? In the past, I used a telephone line to connect to the internet. My other desktop is a Pentium 111 and has ethernet and is set up through the cable modem. My goal is to have both computers online, or networked somehow through my cable modem. Is this possible? What's the easiest solution? Or should I just buy a newer computer?

Thanks, Dxconn
anand1 anand1 is offline anand1 has a Profile Picture
Member with 157 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Oct-2007, 10:52 AM #2
No it is possible to have conected both the PC through the Wireless but the speed on older computer will be quite less.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

24-Oct-2007, 03:20 PM #3
You will need a wireless broadband router, and a PCI wireless NIC for the old machine. You didn't mention what version of Windows is on the old machine, you'll need to insure the drivers for your version of Windows are included with the wireless card you get.

One other point, many older versions of Windows have drivers that don't support newer and more secure encryption algorithms, that's something to consider as well.

26-Oct-2007, 07:48 PM #4
Question For John Will
My old computer has windows 98, but that's not what was original to the computer - it was installed later. The orignial version was windows 95. Do you think it's worth a try to do this, or should I just sell the old computer and buy a newer one? Thanks for your information to my first post.

26-Oct-2007, 08:03 PM #5
Smile Forgot to ask
If it is possible to connect with windows 98, can you recommend a router and desktop PCI card to buy? I can't seem to find a card that says it's compatable to windows 98 -maybe you know of one. Thanks, a lot. dx
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,484 posts.

26-Oct-2007, 09:16 PM #6
Here's one example of a PCI card with Windows 98 driver: http://www.amazon.com/Trendnet-TEW42.../dp/B0001DHHIY

Here are some routers: http://www.buy.com/cat/Wireless_Netw...ter/10996.html

The Belkin isn't the greatest, but I've had that model for nearly 3 years and have had good luck. Often at buy.com you can find better bargains.

26-Oct-2007, 09:58 PM #7
Smile Ok Thanks
I appreciate your recommendations. I have ordered them both, now once I get them I'll post again if I need help with installation. One question, tho, do I have to connect the router before I install the card or does it matter which I install first. Do I have to be connected to the internet to download the driver for the PCI card? That could present a problem, because I won't be connected until I install both the router and the card. Thanks - I'm a great computer user, but not such a great tech. person. dx
Computer Specs

27-Oct-2007, 08:51 AM #8
Router/card order doesn't matter. When you get the router you can follow the Quick Installation or, since we know you have cable, these quicker instructions ...

Unplug the modem and shut down your computer. Connect modem to router's WAN (Modem) port and computer to a LAN port. Plug in modem, then plug in router, then boot computer. If you don't have internet type 192.168.2.1 (if you got the Belkin) into your browsers address bar, login to the router, and CLONE your computer's MAC address.

There should be a Drivers CD with the card. You could also download a driver with your other computer and copy it over with CD, floppy, USB flash drive, etc.

13-Nov-2007, 07:39 PM #9
Drivers for PCI card
I've successfully installed the PCI card in the old Sony and the router. I have indications on the Sony that the wireless is up and running, however, when I try to log onto the internet, I get that "can't view webpage" error message. Then the Sony says that the drivers failed to install. I downloaded another driver from the Trendnet website and tried to install that, but nothing seems to be working. I can't get the drivers to install. What can I do now. It's the last thing I need to do before I can finally reach my goal of wireless access for both of my home computers. Thanks, Dixie
Computer Specs
Member with 5,119 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Nov-2007, 08:16 PM #10
I too have an old laptop running Win 98SE. I use a Hawking amplified antennae and have good reception. In fact I use it on 2 different computers (at different times) with good luck.
Right now am in a RV park that has free wifi and I am able to pick up the signal about a block away.
Have been using this for about 3 years now, when we are traveling.
vicks
Computer Specs

13-Nov-2007, 08:25 PM #11
Does Device Manager indicate any other missing drivers (yellow warnings)?

Is there any hint or error message why the driver didn't install?

Since the driver did not install I'm curious about the "indications on the Sony that the wireless is up and running." What indications?

13-Nov-2007, 09:19 PM #12
The wireless configuration that comes with the utility driver for the PCI card is all set up to receive from my router - it specifies 100% connection. No hint, just that it failed to install and to check my adapter settings. I'm not sure how to check any settings on it. It has the yellow warning on the "sure" and "real" drivers. There's longer names to these, but I bet you know what I'm talking about.
I don't think I need another antennae because it says it's picking up the signal. This is the last thing I need to do - I'm so eager to make it work! Thanks so much for your help. Dixie
Computer Specs

13-Nov-2007, 09:32 PM #13
No, I don't know what the longer names are. But if one of them is a network controller that may be why the network doesn't work. See if you can get those driver issues resolved.

Start, Run, COMMAND, OK to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

14-Nov-2007, 04:19 PM #14
Results from above:
WIN 98 IP Configuration
Host Name: Rocky Conner (my son)
DNS Server:
Mode Type: Broadcast
Met BIOS Scope ID:
IP Routing Enabled: No
Wins Proxy Enabled: No
Net BIOS Resolution Uses DNS: No

Ethernet Adapter:
Description: Novell 2000 adapter
Physical Address: 00-50-BA-A0-C0-43
DHCP Enabled: Yes
IP Address: 169.254.6.97
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway:
DHCP Server: 255.255.255.255
Primary WINS Server:
Secondary WINS Server:
Lease Obtained: 01-01-90 12:00:57 AM
Lease Expires:

I hope this helps. I see that the routing is not enabled - maybe that's the problem?

Thanks very much for your help. Dixie
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

14-Nov-2007, 05:53 PM #15
Routing is not required. You have no wireless hardware that is recognized by Windows. I'm assuming that Novell 2000 adapter is the wired adapter, the ones I'm familiar with are.

What is the make/model of the wireless card you're using?

Start, Run, devmgmt.msc

Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!