Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

FIOS wireless PS3 internet problems

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
27-Oct-2007, 01:36 AM #1
FIOS wireless PS3 internet problems
I have FIOS wireless here, and the modem is on the 2nd floor. I have a laptop on the main floor, a PC in the basement, and a PS3 in the basement. Both computers receive the signal fine and have no connectivity problems with the internet. However, my PS3 is very moody and I cannot figure out a pattern as to why it drops off the network at random points.

I've noticed that when I get on the PSN store to download something or even sometimes when I'm playing online games, I lose my network connection. After this, I cannot reconnect and it tells me I have problems with a DNS entry. Sometimes this extends to the PC's in my house and they suddenly can no longer connect either. All of this is fixed when I go upstairs, turn the modem off for 4 minutes (Verizon's recommendation) and back on. Once it has rebooted, internet connectivity has been re-established for the PC's and the PS3 can even hop back online. However, some days (like today) no matter how many times I get back online with the PS3, it has problems within the first minute and I have to repeat the entire process.

What am I doing wrong? If the PS3 could never get online or hold a connection, I'd think it was my settings there, but I've gone for weeks without problems sometimes, too. Yes, I have wireless phones, but they're 8 GHz so there should be no conflict there. The signal strength has always been fine for the PC's, and the PS3 is located only 20 feet from my PC in the basement.

Are there some settings I should know about with the PS3 or for the FIOS modem? I've spent hours on the phone with Verizon about this and they know next to nothing about the PS3. Their hours of troubleshooting have amounted to nothing, and I've worked with four different techs on the issue. I used to have Comcast cable, and I had similar trouble, which is one of the reasons I switched. One point of suspicion is that Verizon used the same cable running into the house that Comcast had put in, but considering my PC's never have trouble, I still think it has to do with the PS3 or the modem settings.

Can someone help me?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

27-Oct-2007, 11:45 AM #2
Have you considered a hi-gain external antenna? Also, since the PS3 is in the basement two floors below the router, try orienting the antennas horizontally for better signal propagation.

27-Oct-2007, 09:21 PM #3
Thanks for the response, though I'm not sure what you mean about antennas in reference to the PS3. It has an internal wireless card--there are no antennas. Are you referring to the router itself? There is one antenna, so I'll try orienting it horizontally at least.

Still, I'm not convinced it's a bad signal. If that were true, I should be noticing problems on my PC in the basement, too, right?
Computer Specs

28-Oct-2007, 12:47 PM #4
Hard to say, I've seen the signal quality for wireless vary significantly with only a couple of feet of distance between two wireless clients.

28-Oct-2007, 01:58 PM #5
Can you explain more about what you meant regarding the "high gain external antenna?" What would this be hooked up to? I'm guessing I might be able to find one someplace like Radio Shack?
Computer Specs

28-Oct-2007, 08:25 PM #6
Here's a rebate deal on one that I use here: http://dealnews.com/D-Link-Omni-Dire...te/192891.html

The antenna can be used to replace the antenna on either end of the connection to increase signal strength. Obviously, this only works with devices with replaceable antennas.

29-Oct-2007, 12:32 AM #7
Thanks! I'll look into this and see if I can at least affix it to my router or PS3 somehow. It's worth a try, considering nothing else has worked.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!