Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Wireless Linksys not connected

(!)

Member with 83 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Oct-2007, 05:36 PM #1
Solved: Wireless Linksys not connected
OK, I have a desktop running XP with a Linksys Wireles G card that isn't connecting to (or detecting) any network

I have a Linksys Wireless Router/Modem downstairs and a laptop w/wireless card that connects through the same router.

The Laptop connects fine.

A few weeks ago I was trying to network both computers together as to share files. Before this, the desktop was connecting with no problems. I think I may've changed a workgroup name (as to enable sharing) and since then I cannot connect.

I have tried many things including uninstalling the driver in device manager.

Under Network Connections there are 3 icons.

1394 Connection 3 - connected - 1394 Net Adapter
1394 Connection 4 - Disabled 0 1394 Net Adapter #2
Wireless Network Connection 3 - Not Connected - Linksys Wireless G PCI Adapter

If I click Repair on the Linksys Icon is says
"Windows could finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed. Disabling the wireless network adapter. Make sure your network adapter is properly installed."

Hopefully this is something simple as one day it was there then it wasn't. Simple steps please. Thanks.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,957 posts.

27-Oct-2007, 08:40 PM #2
You're saying that the desktop used to connect wirelessly, but now can not detect any network?

Have you checked for a loose antenna on the router or PC? Still no detect when the PC and router are close?

Are you using the Linksys utility or Windows XP's WZC to manage the connection? And are you sure that the other one is not running?
Computer Specs
Member with 332 posts.

Experience: Student
27-Oct-2007, 11:40 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet
You're saying that the desktop used to connect wirelessly, but now can not detect any network?
Are you using the Linksys utility or Windows XP's WZC to manage the connection? And are you sure that the other one is not running?
That's what it sounds like to me, a conflict. You should disable one then see if you can connect.
Member with 83 posts.

28-Oct-2007, 07:55 AM #4
Terrynet - yes, Desktop is wireless and was connecting fine but now not detecting anything

No loose antenna's on either router or card on pc. There's no way I can move the pc closer to the router but that really isn't an isssue as it's been fine for the longest time now after adjusting some settings is no longer.

I don't know what WZC is but I am not using a linksys connection program so XP it is.

I disabled the laptop to make sure there wasn't a conflict and there doesn't seem to be as that didn't change anything.

If I try to disable the Linksys connection on the desktop or the 1394 connected also on the desktop I get this message "It is not possible to disable the connection at this ime. This connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support plug and play, or it may have been initiated by another user or the system account."
Junior Member with 28 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Oct-2007, 08:06 AM #5
Have you checked in the router settings that it is broardcasting? That has fooled me a few times. To check conntect to your router 192.168... and look for something like 'Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID) '

MySeN
Junior Member with 28 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Oct-2007, 08:07 AM #6
oh and windows firewall can also stop connections, a way to tell is by looking at your connections and if it says firewalled then that's the problem.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,523 posts.

28-Oct-2007, 08:11 AM #7
Wonderfull"re wzc

start/run type in services.msc

At the bottom of the displayed services will be wireless zero config.
See if that is enabled.

Can you connect the desktop wired to the router or can you connect

Have tried resetting the router to default config.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,523 posts.

28-Oct-2007, 08:15 AM #8
My post 7 should have included can you connect directly to the modem and get net.

Also model # s of router and card would be helpful
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,957 posts.

28-Oct-2007, 01:43 PM #9
You might try uninstalling the driver again, shut down the PC and physically remove the wireless card. Reinsert it, in another slot if possible. If it is still not detecting networks after reinstalling it I'm thinking that it has died.
Member with 83 posts.

17-Nov-2007, 04:08 PM #10
OK, I've been real busy with work as late - so that's why the long time in replying.

I checked the router settings and all look fine there.

The firewall isn't enabled and isn't a factor here.

The WZC checked out fine.

The # of the card is wmp54g and the router/modem is wcg200.

Here's the most important part though. I did open up the pc to remove the card. There was some kind of 'substance' on the back of the card. There was mouse crap in the corner of the case too so I'm guessing it's some kind of gunk left by rodents. (This was from having the computer in a previous house with mouse problems - no longer at this abode) I brushed off the build up - it was crusty like old honeycomb. Hopefully this is why the card isn't reacting (I did insert it in a different pci slot and still the same problem). But the card WAS detected when I restarted and I was taken through the regular prompts and installed the drivers. Could the card be dead even though it was detected like everthing was fine?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

17-Nov-2007, 05:00 PM #11
Note that you can actually wash the card, as long as you dry it throughly after the bath.
Member with 83 posts.

24-Nov-2007, 08:49 PM #12
I tried washing it but to no avail. In the end I bought another card and lo and behold problem solved. It's just odd that after adjusting some setting the card suddenly gives out - bad timing but now all is good. Thanks for all your advice!
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

24-Nov-2007, 09:03 PM #13
I guess it didn't take to the laundry!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!