Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Bridge LAN Wireless Connections??

(!)

Junior Member with 9 posts.

11-Nov-2007, 07:32 PM #1
Bridge LAN Wireless Connections??
I have wireless and ethernet connections to my computer. I select both of them and bridge them together and open my browser and can get online etc. - But if I unplug the modem or ethernet cable, I would expect the bridged wireless connection to still be on to all me to get online but this is not the case. I can't get online at all. Am I doing something wrong in the bridge? How can I bridge the connections so if one drops off the other still works, and when they are both on the work together?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,530 posts.

11-Nov-2007, 08:36 PM #2
The Network Bridge is used to "extend" an ethernet network to wireless or to "extend" a wireless network to ethernet.

You can't get the two connections to "work together."

If you unplug your modem you will, naturally, lose your internet access.

12-Nov-2007, 12:22 AM #3
So there is no way at all to get connections to "work together" in XP? There is no way to have on connection kick in as backup if another looses connectivity?
Computer Specs
Member with 332 posts.

Experience: Student
12-Nov-2007, 01:26 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dialbridge
So there is no way at all to get connections to "work together" in XP? There is no way to have on connection kick in as backup if another looses connectivity?
No there isn't see post #2.

12-Nov-2007, 01:34 AM #5
Post #2 says no there isn't, along with post #4. But there is a way. There is load balancing software and also a registry hack you can do with multiple network cards.
Computer Specs
Member with 332 posts.

12-Nov-2007, 01:46 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dialbridge
Post #2 says no there isn't, along with post #4. But there is a way. There is load balancing software and also a registry hack you can do with multiple network cards.
Wouldn't this slow the network ?Trying to dividing bandwidth between two interfaces at once ? I've only seen this done on a NIC that has multiple ports and want to run for example ethernet and dial-up connections. But like I said I never heard of this so...
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

12-Nov-2007, 11:54 AM #7
If you have a wired and wireless connection, you don't have to "bridge" anything. If the wired connection goes away, the wireless will take up the load. I can fire my laptop up here with wired and wireless connections active, and when I unplug the wired connection, it doesn't miss a beat.
Computer Specs
Member with 332 posts.

13-Nov-2007, 01:22 AM #8
But in reality it's still just one connection running at a time right ? Not both running at once.
Computer Specs

13-Nov-2007, 10:01 AM #9
Right, just one connection (usually the ethernet) is being used at a time to access the internet. I see little point to it if both are connected to the same router.
Computer Specs
Member with 332 posts.

16-Nov-2007, 11:25 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet
Right, just one connection (usually the ethernet) is being used at a time to access the internet. I see little point to it if both are connected to the same router.
Thanks for making that clear.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
03-Feb-2008, 01:40 PM #11
Can I set which connection has priority? Reverse your order. Wireless then dial-up.
Hi John Will,
Vista, Nov/2007 computer-wireless, bluetooth, the works.

Tx for your info forum. Can I have if the wireless goes away, the dial up will then take up the load (connection)? Prefer the wireless to be primary for it is faster and if wireless (wifi) drop, I will then have slow dial up connection. From your comment, I will not bridge anything. Connect to dial up and connect to a wifi network (both active). Tx again for your reply (it would have been nice to reduce my download bandwidth on wifi by having both downloading but u mention not possible).

John stated:
If you have a wired and wireless connection, you don't have to "bridge" anything. If the wired connection goes away, the wireless will take up the load. I can fire my laptop up here with wired and wireless connections active, and when I unplug the wired connection, it doesn't miss a beat.
Computer Specs

03-Feb-2008, 05:44 PM #12
I have no idea if you can get it to auto-dial if there's no connection.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
04-Feb-2008, 02:28 AM #13
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Tx for your reply and I might have worded the question incorrectly and thus iyou nterpreted iincorrectly. Currently, have access to wifi or dial up (56k baud modem). From reading this thread- 1) a user can have both active(dial up and wifi connected) - 2)wired iprimary and wifi secondary 3)no bridging required.

I am just asking with both dial up and wifi conected (alive), it would be nice if wifi is primary. If I have both connected, the dial up is primary and would not want because the dial up is a lot slower than the wifi. It would be nice if wifi is primary and if it goes dead, the dial up that is connected (alive all the time) then take over.
NOTE: I assume wired is primary according to this thread and thus dial up.

Using this laptop, I can have wifi and dial-up alive. Can I select which is the default or primary?

Current usage:
Using wifi but when it goes dead on a download, I am not there to immediately reconnect (not baby-sitting a download) . I reconnect when I am back home.
What I am saying, it would be nice to make use of dial-up and what do u suggest?

I hope u understand the question and sorry for the misunderstanding
Computer Specs

04-Feb-2008, 09:58 AM #14
Hmm...

You might be able to do this using the Route command, I've never personally tried it.
Computer Specs

04-Feb-2008, 11:22 AM #15
Do you know that dial-up is the primary or are you just assuming it? My assumption, never having tried it, is that Wi-Fi will be primary because Windows will choose it because of its faster nominal bandwidth.

If you connect both you should be able to tell which is being used with a simple speed test such as http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!