Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Weird problem after Network Magic Install...

(!)

Member with 89 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Nov-2007, 11:33 PM #1
Weird problem after Network Magic Install...
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 desktop, 80gb, 1gb ram, 2.0ghz processor, running windows xp home.

I recently downloaded Network Magic 4.6, which is a huge improvement over all their previous versions.

Anyway, after my install, and 1st restart, I get a "no network adapter detected". I have an Intel Proset Wireless 2915 a/b/g internal card. The intel wireless utility in my system tray says no adapter detected. So, I dried uninstalling it in my device manager, to no avail, it hangs and I can do nothing but restart.

However, as this occurs each time I try to delete it, I can delete the driver from my device manager in Safe Mode. With a restart from safe mode, the notebook starts and runs fine until the next reboot, and I'm left to re-uninstall the adapter in safemode, and it re-installs itself on restart and is fine until next reboot...

Any suggestions on what I can do to remedy this without having to enter safemode and deleting the adapter before every start?

I contacted NWM support and they only suggested I use windows to manage my wireless network, but still uses the same card!

Your suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

~BB
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

18-Nov-2007, 12:03 PM #2
Do a system restore to before Network Magic was installed.

Now you know why I detest this kind of utility.
Member with 89 posts.

18-Nov-2007, 12:32 PM #3
Tried that to no avail.

NWM did suck... it used to use 98% of my cpu but the new version doesn't, so I thought I would give it another chance.

I guess my only other option is to delete NWM and see if that fixes it.
Member with 89 posts.

18-Nov-2007, 01:46 PM #4
Well, uninstalliing NWM did work.

Damn, I thought it was better since it took them about a year and a half to fix their cpu consumption issue, and since I'm lazy and don't want to go through the networking through Windows.

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to see if NWM has any suggestions.
Computer Specs

18-Nov-2007, 04:27 PM #5
Actually, configuring networking through Windows is pretty easy, I'd stop screwing around with Network Magic and just bite the bullet. There are lots of folks here, including me, that will help you get it working.
Member with 89 posts.

18-Nov-2007, 05:05 PM #6
Well, where, how do I begin?

I got NWM because my last network got screwed up that I ran through Windows... worked for about 6 months and then I'd have file sharing problems.

Thanks for your help!

~BB
Computer Specs

18-Nov-2007, 06:49 PM #7
I guess you start by telling us exactly what the network configuration is and the exact symptoms. Knowing the version/patch level of Windows on each machine is necessary too.

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Make and model of the broadband modem.
Make and model of the router.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Make/model of your computer.
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.

Also, please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

On any problem computer, I'd also like to see this:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.
Member with 89 posts.

19-Nov-2007, 12:41 PM #8
Well, I will delete NWM off of my PCs and manually set up a network.

Is the network wizard the best?

I'll gather the pc, printer, router, modem and ipconfig info and post late this evening.

Thanks for the help!

~bb
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,413 posts.

19-Nov-2007, 12:47 PM #9
I will make no claim about "best" method. If all computers have internet access through the same router the following wizard way has worked for me and for some others.

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Create a disk at the end only if you have a Windows PC other than XP or 2k Pro or Vista.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2) will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders (or drives) or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes or so) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

04-Dec-2007, 02:14 PM #10
Network Magic Intel Pro Set bug fixed
delafoo,

I'm with Pure Networks, the maker of Network Magic.

With yours and others feedback we detected a bug in how Network Magic 4.6, our latest version, was interacting with Intel Pro Set wireless adapters. We rolled out a fix to this bug on 11/22. We very much apologize for the frustration you experienced with this bug.

If you would like to try Network Magic again, feel free to visit http://www.networkmagic.com to do the free download.

Thanks.
Member with 89 posts.

04-Dec-2007, 02:56 PM #11
Yay! I didn't request a refund yet, just uninstalled it. I will re-downlowad it... its a headache saver for sure!
Junior Member with 2 posts.

04-Dec-2007, 03:28 PM #12
Sounds great. Let me know if that doesn't fix your problem. Thanks again for your help.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

15-Apr-2008, 11:16 AM #13
Angry Uninstall / reinstall an option /NOT
My initial installation fo Network Magic on my machine running Vista aka (Wista) SP1 must have been corrupt. The application would hang... I tried to uninstall NM, however it got stuck near the end... Since I've been unable to reinstall or uninstall. Now this is the kinda compost that drives me crazy. There is no magic UI...however the drivers are happily running and cannot be uninstalled. Can you say hostage, that's what I feel like. I truley just want to reinstall it.

Bradley K. Hoss
aka bradhoss
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!