Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Wireless Linksys WRT54G Troubleshooting

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Nov-2007, 11:45 AM #1
Wireless Linksys WRT54G Troubleshooting
i have a wireless WRT54G Linksys router v.6, a mac, a xobx 360, a wii, and a ps3, and a house phone, and these systems don't seem to like each other. okay, so here's the scoop.

if i am playing a game on xbox live (COD/Halo/etc) and my brother turns on the PS3, it will lag me out of the game. If my house phone rings while i am playing, it will completely disconnect me off of xobx live. but for some reason if the ps3 is already on, then i sign into xbox live, it doesnt boot ps3's network, and the 2 can then play at the same time. but if the ps3 is turned off, or the game is switched, i get booted again. OH! and while the house phone is in use, the internet for my comp won't even work. i don't get it all.

when i had the router wired to the xbox, i never had these problems, but i went out and bought the wireless adaptor, and now i ran into all this crap. i changed it back to being wired, the problems consisted anyway. i don't know what to do, im not buying a new router, there's gotta be a way to fix this, right? i've talked to multiple forums about this, no one can help me, i seem to be the only one with a problem like this. any kind of help would be greatly appreciated. -thank you
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

22-Nov-2007, 12:20 PM #2
Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Make and model of the broadband modem.
Make and model of the router.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Make/model of your computer.
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.

Also, please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.
Computer Specs

24-Nov-2007, 12:18 PM #3
-Motorola SBV4200 Voice Over IP Cable Modem
-Linksys Wireless WRT54G Ver. 6
-if my xbox is connected wirelessly or wired, it does'nt matter, it does the same thing for both
-WPA Personal
-Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger

-if i am playing a game on xbox live (COD/Halo/etc) and my brother turns on the PS3, it will lag me out of the game. If my house phone rings while i am playing, it will completely disconnect me off of xobx live. but for some reason if the ps3 is already on, then i sign into xbox live, it doesnt boot ps3's network, and the 2 can then play at the same time. but if the ps3 is turned off, or the game is switched, i get booted again. OH! and while the house phone is in use, the internet for my comp won't even work. there is no error message, it just boots me
Computer Specs

24-Nov-2007, 12:37 PM #4
Have you checked the QoS configuration on that router? That should help even the load.
Computer Specs

25-Nov-2007, 03:05 AM #5
do i want to enable the QoS?
Computer Specs

25-Nov-2007, 09:41 AM #6
Yes, that's the whole point of QoS!
Computer Specs

25-Nov-2007, 12:41 PM #7
alright, after enabling, should i:

change my upstream bandwidth off of auto?

set priorities? and if yes, how? it says MAC Address, does that mean IPs for the consoles?

what about Ethernet port priority? or application priority?

also, WMM Support, should i enable?

thank you so much for your help, you don't know how long i've been trying to fix this, it's greatly appreciated.
Computer Specs

25-Nov-2007, 04:35 PM #8
You can give your computer's MAC address a higher priority, that will certainly help when there's high traffic. I'd try that first before you start tinkering with all the other dials and knobs.
Computer Specs

25-Nov-2007, 08:37 PM #9
but i dont really care bout the comp being off line, i more would rather fix getting kicked off xbox live
Computer Specs

26-Nov-2007, 08:41 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~mDiGug~
but i dont really care bout the comp being off line, i more would rather fix getting kicked off xbox live
Give the XBOX MAC address the higher priority.
Computer Specs

26-Nov-2007, 10:48 AM #11
k, sorry, i suck at this stuff, but how exactly do i do that?
Member with 2,130 posts.

26-Nov-2007, 11:02 AM #12
Tried getting in touch with Linksys via their live chat support? They often have special router settings available. My daughter is an online gamer and we ran through some similar problems when she was online. Once Linksys supplied us with the port forwarding and the instructions how to change them everything is operating fine.
Computer Specs

26-Nov-2007, 04:18 PM #13
i called linksys on the phone and they said they didn't know why it was doing that. they had me try a number of things, but nothing work. then they just suggested buying a new router, and of course this new router they were suggesting was $200, so i've been trying to figure this out without their help. but thanks for the suggestion.
Member with 2,130 posts.

26-Nov-2007, 06:52 PM #14
Boy, must be something really weird going on if they couldn't figure it out.
Computer Specs

27-Nov-2007, 08:47 AM #15
If you buy a new router, I suggest you make it other than a Linksys!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!