Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

weird, can't get to certain websites

(!)

Member with 343 posts.

29-Nov-2007, 12:20 AM #1
weird, can't get to certain websites
all of a sudden in the last 48 hours i've been unable to open newegg.com and walmart.com from any computer on my home network (Win, Mac & Linux behind a WRT54Gv6 + Time Warner/Road Runner cable modem). I can access all other websites just fine, just can't open these sites (that i know of so far)

I'm able to access these sites if i dial up to the Internet via my Sprint phone or if I hop on a nearby open wireless network (which is also Time Warner/Road Runner), so there's something up with my setup

any ideas what it could be?
Member with 587 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Nov-2007, 12:58 AM #2
Maybe this will help...
These sites may have been added somehow to your hosts file. There's a good tutorial on creating a hosts file editor here. Look for the names of the sites you can't access and delete them from the file.

Please let us know if this works for you.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

29-Nov-2007, 03:58 PM #3
It could also be an ISP issue.

Let's see this.

Start, Run, CMD

Type TRACERT newegg.com

Post the results here.
Member with 343 posts.

29-Nov-2007, 05:27 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill
TRACERT newegg.com
Code:
Unable to resolve target system name newegg.com.
I get the same result for walmart.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl
These sites may have been added somehow to your hosts file. There's a good tutorial on creating a hosts file editor
the hosts file was there and it didn't have any entires (except for 127.0.0.1/localhost of course). curious, i added an entry for newegg.com and walmart.com with their resolving IP addresses and like magic I was able to open their websites again. then I commented those same entires out and like voodoo I can't open them anymore

- can't ping, trace route nor open web site in any browser on Windows XP & Mac OS X computers for these domains
- CAN ping, trace route and open web site in any browser on Windows XP Mac OS X computers using their IP addresses

My Linux computers can actually open the sites just fine (Ubuntu 7.10 & Xandros).

I don't think it's an ISP issue. I can access these sites/domains fine when jumping on a nearby open wi-fi network who's ISP is aslo Time Warner/Road Runner. I just can't access these sites on my own home network (wireless & wired).

Any other ideas?
Member with 343 posts.

29-Nov-2007, 06:29 PM #5
SOLVED

so apparently when getting an dynamic IP from my router, I can open the sites just fine. so it appears the my router is pushing out the ISP's DNS IP addresses to DHCP-enabled computers correctly, but not pushing them out to computers with static IPs (which all my computers are).

To resolve this whole mess I manually added the ISP's DNS servers to my Windows XP and Mac OS X network settings.

The Linux computers were unaffected probably because they have their own internal DNS table.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

30-Nov-2007, 09:13 AM #6
I've had a number of cases where the ISP DNS servers took a dive and sites could not be resolved. After hours (or sometimes days), it magically corrects itself. I normally just stick a different DNS server in my configuration until they get their act together.

This happened a lot with Comcast, so far with Verizon FiOS, I haven't had the issue.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!