Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Low Network Utilization

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
01-Dec-2007, 03:11 PM #1
Low Network Utilization
Hello, why large downloads are so slow on my acer aspire. Could the problem be that my network utilization stays between 0 and 5% while downloading? How would I fix this? I've run Spybot, Adaware, and tried ending all unnecessary processes. I'm using a LAN connection but can use a wireless connection too.
Thanks
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,150 posts.

01-Dec-2007, 03:51 PM #2
What is your download bandwidth as measured by something like http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ ?

If you are using a router, do you get different results connected directly to the modem?

What is your ISP's advertised download bandwidth?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Dec-2007, 03:57 PM #3
Re: Low network utilization
Hi greg,
Don't go by the Network Performance tab in the Windows Task Manager Utility. You may have a 100mbps LAN or a 54mbps Wifi connection to your router or the cable modem and the like setup by your ISP, but your download speed solely depends upon the speed which your ISP is offering you through the particular plan that you have subscribed to. So if you have a 1mbps plan then you should be getting a speed of 128KB/s on your downloads. If that is not the case then you should get in touch with your ISP to test for line quality or something in case you are on an ADSL connection.

Since you mention a peak network utilization of 5% (ie 5% of 100mbps), i'm guessing that you are on a 5 - 8 mbps plan with your ISP.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
01-Dec-2007, 04:21 PM #4
The speed test says the download speed is 3704 kbps. I'm connected to a college network through an ethernet cable, and I can't find what the isp is, but it seems like the college would have a faster network than that. My computer downloaded faster when it was new (and still at college) so it seems like something is making it slower than it could be on this network.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,523 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Dec-2007, 04:31 PM #5
As Nib said,perhaps 3.7 mbps is what your college is offered through the ISP.
Talk to someone in your college IT center,and see what they say.
3.7 is pretty decent though.If it were in the low 1 mbps or under,that would be a problem.
Also,What may be making it seem slower might be an increased # of users on your link or server.Really hard to tell.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!