Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: DSL disconnects when phone rings

(!)

Member with 95 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Dec-2007, 06:14 PM #1
Solved: DSL disconnects when phone rings
I have Qwest DSL. Whenever the phone rings, my DSL disconnects me from the web or causes me to freeze. I have an Actiontec modem with a Linksys WRT54G router. Is there a setting I can make to prevent this?

Sig
Member with 95 posts.

11-Dec-2007, 07:23 PM #2
Solved (I think)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigVicious
I have Qwest DSL. Whenever the phone rings, my DSL disconnects me from the web or causes me to freeze. I have an Actiontec modem with a Linksys WRT54G router. Is there a setting I can make to prevent this?

I found another post on this same topic. I'm going to run my DSL directly into my modem, then use the phone port on the modem to distribute phone service to the rest of the house. Hopefully this will remedy the problem.

Sig
Sig
foneguy9 foneguy9 is offline foneguy9 has a Profile Picture
Member with 196 posts.

Experience: Beginner to sporadically Advanced
11-Dec-2007, 08:12 PM #3
Also, you can use the DSL Filters that (usually) come with the DSL Modem and connect these to ONLY the phones around the house and NOT to the wire going to the DSL Modem. You leave that wire going to the DSL modem as is.

The DSL filter is used so that when you go off hook on you phone set, you will 'filter' the DSL portion from that connection and your DSL Modem will be non the wiser!
Member with 196 posts.

11-Dec-2007, 08:13 PM #4
RadioShack or its equivalent, any electronics store should have them for about $5 to $10 per filter.
Member with 95 posts.

11-Dec-2007, 08:17 PM #5
I have the filters, but, here's how it's hooked up. The signal comes in across Cat 5. It's then split between my homes phone system and the modem. Then there's 2 filters on the phones in the house.

I'm going to try it with running the DSL directly into my modem then use the phone port in my modem to feed my phone network. The modem has a built in filter.

Make sense?

Sig
Member with 196 posts.

11-Dec-2007, 08:23 PM #6
When you say, 'homes phone system', is that an actual KSU/PBX in your home? Or is/are your line(s) looped through out the house with Cat 5? Your speaking my native tongue when you use terms like those!!!!

A quick test is to plug in an analog/home phone to the Modem Phone port directly with a line cord, and make a call while browsing/online. That'll tell you if your plan will work as well.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

11-Dec-2007, 08:30 PM #7
Purchase a DSL splitter and install it at the telco service entrance. Run a direct line from the DSL port on the splitter directly to the DSL modem. Connect all of the other phone instruments to the telephone output of the DSL splitter. All of the DSL analog side wiring should be CAT3 or better twisted pair from the telco service entrance to the DSL/ADSL modem. You can use one of the twisted pairs in CAT5 cable if you have that on hand.

This is as good as it gets for DSL installations, and will usually solve in-house wiring issues.

Here's a good detailed description of the process: DSL Wiring Upgrade Tutorial
Member with 196 posts.

20-Dec-2007, 07:30 PM #8
Johnwill,

That is the way I have installed my DSL at home. However, for many folks, DSL splitters/filters at the jack with the Computer and Phone Icons will work just as well.

My $2 (Due to inflation)

Computer Specs

20-Dec-2007, 08:49 PM #9
I mention it because it appears the filters aren't working.
Member with 95 posts.

29-Dec-2007, 06:28 PM #10
I purchased and installed a DSL filter board on my phone pair where they enter my house, then connected my modem to the DSL end of the board. And, I'm still having the same problem. Very odd.

Sig
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,951 posts.

29-Dec-2007, 08:09 PM #11
Is your phone a 2.4Ghz cordless? If so, you have wireless interference. Try changing the channel used by the router--e.g, channel 1 and/or 11.
Computer Specs

29-Dec-2007, 08:23 PM #12
You can't filter the whole line, the DSL modem MUST be on an unfiltered line from the phone service.
Member with 95 posts.

06-Jan-2008, 09:55 PM #13
That could be it. We have two cordless phone systems in the house. I bet both are 2.4Ghz. One of them needs to GO!! Maybe I'll invest in a 5.8Ghz system.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,951 posts.

06-Jan-2008, 10:08 PM #14
A test is to unplug the base station and remove battery from handset(s) (or hide handset in a Wi-Fi obstructed space such as a car trunk).

If it is the cordless phone(s), sometimes you can get around the problem by setting the router to use one end or the other of the channel range (1 or 11).
Computer Specs

07-Jan-2008, 09:58 AM #15
If wired connections are affected, I don't think this is wireless interference. Can you be more clear about what the configuration is?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!