Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Router not detected?

(!)

Member with 123 posts.

25-Dec-2007, 08:00 PM #1
Solved: Router not detected?
For some reason, on my main PC, it doesn't seem like my router is recognized anymore. I have the Cable modem connected to the router, then the router connected to my PC. It worked fine for about a year and I did some unplugging and re-plugging in of the router, and ever since then it's almost as if the router doesn't exist. I know this because when I do a 'ipconfig' command in dos-prompt there is no 192.168.0.0 etc. listed, and when I go to 'http://192.168.1.1' or whatever which I had saved in firefox it can't connect to the page.

Now what's strange is that the router IS powered on (green flashing lights) and I CAN access it's wireless connection via laptops in the house etc. I have tried resetting it and still no luck. The problem is I have a 10 digit pw encryption and I don't have it memorized so any NEW connecting device can't access the wireless network.

Any ideas? I have double checked the connection and everything is plugged in correctly. MODEM >>>> ROUTER >>>> PC. Not sure what's up...my router is Linksys WRT54G.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,284 posts.

25-Dec-2007, 08:09 PM #2
Can any computer connect to the router via ethernet?

Can your problem PC connect directly to the modem? Have you tried different router ports? A known working cable?

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.
Member with 123 posts.

26-Dec-2007, 01:06 AM #3
lol okay problem solved. I went to the back of my router to switch around the CAT5 cables that go in my router (use the 3rd and 4th ports instead of 1st and 2nd) to make sure there wasn't an issue with the individual ports in the router. I'm looking there and I see a 5th port that's slightly apart from the other four, I examine is closer and it says "Internet". I think..."What's that for?"

Then it hits me. THAT'S where the plug from the cable modem should go, and the one from my COMPUTER goes in one of the other 4. It was the correct way before, but after I re-wired everything I stupidly put the CAT5 cable from the modem in one of the 4 basic internet ports. Silly me. Thank you for getting me to check all the cables again though because that's how i solved the problem!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,284 posts.

26-Dec-2007, 09:32 AM #4
I didn't think of that because I wrongly took "CAN access it's wireless connection via laptops" to mean that multiple computers could access the internet simultaneously.

Please mark this 'solved' using the Thread Tools at the upper right.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!