Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: DNS Stopped Working?

(!)

Junior Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Dec-2007, 04:09 PM #1
Solved: DNS Stopped Working?
I'm running XPSP2 with a Belkin wireless Card MN: F5D7001. Until last night it was working perfectly fine. I restarted last night out of habit, and when I re-booted, trying to access a page on Firefox or IE let to a "Page Can Not Be Displayed." Figuring I did something, I System Restored two days back, and still nothing.

Now, see I can access my Netgear router's config page, as well as the shared folders on all other computers on my network (which can all access the internet FYI). Also, from the command prompt I can ping other websites by IP address, though not by www addresses. My guess is that there's some DNS issue, but I haven't fooled with any DNS stuff. All my computers are set to auto detect DNS settigns from the router, which is in turn set to detect DNS settings from my ISP (Comcast High Speed Cable). So... Yeah. Any ideas?

I have restarted my computer, and release/renewed my adapter numerous times
I have power-cycled my Motorola Surfboard Modem and my Netgear Wireless Router.

????

Edit: is it possible that is is some sort of firewall issue? I'm running McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0i

Last edited by ohjustaguyiknow; 29-Dec-2007 at 04:41 PM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,992 posts.

29-Dec-2007, 05:42 PM #2
Sometimes, and I have no idea why, DNS won't work when the router assigns its own address to the computer for DNS (even though it's working on the other computers on the same LAN). Try OpenDNS on your computer: http://www.opendns.com/

Click on "Get Started" and then on "Computer" and then on your operating system for directions.
Member with 22,468 posts.

29-Dec-2007, 06:01 PM #3
Try using the DNS server IP address for your ISP. You can determine that from the router's status.

29-Dec-2007, 06:11 PM #4
Thanks to both, but neither worked. This highly bizarre and I've no understanding of how this happened.

It also seems that I've lost the ability to ping using IP address in a command prompt. I have no use of SOCKS or POP protocols as well as HTTP.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,992 posts.

29-Dec-2007, 08:06 PM #5
Did you find a solution, or was this marked 'solved' by mistake?

30-Dec-2007, 01:02 AM #6
Nope, I solved it by my lonesome, though I appreciate all the help There was a random setting that had somehow become unchecked "allow internet connections on this device" and for some reason that was the only issue.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!